Waste compression joint leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a washing machine trap to a new 40mm wsaste pipe but its leaking around the compression joint. Have I done something wrong, its pushed right into the joint and tightened fully . The rubber seal is in there too.. is it a naff fitting or have i done something wrong?!

Sponsored Links
is it the same brand as the pipe and the correct size? did you use silicone grease so the rubber washer can slide easily?

tighten the nut some more.

It was all from screwfix not sure on the make. If anything the pipe was 41mm slightly bigger. no i didnt use any silicon grease, should i have? I think the nut is fully tight now!

Check the rubber seal has not twisted. If you overtighten it it can buckle and leave a leak, and also check it has been put in the correct way. One side will have a chamfered edge to go into the socket side..

Sponsored Links
good point. If the rubbers have been deformed they will usually not seal properly in future, you'll need new ones.

I used to, but all the plumbers ganged up on me and said it makes the seals perish and stick :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back