Motorized Valve Manual Overide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, on Friday night when going to bed I turned down the room thermostat but the heating didn't go off so I turned it of by the switch.
In Saturday morning I turned on the heating but nothing happened, no noise, no pilot light, nothing.
So after some research on the internet I learned that if you pull the lever on the motorized valve to manual the heating should work.
So I tried this and the boiler fired up as normal and the central heating was working.

Is it safe to do this? and will I eventually damage the boiler by doing this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Its ok to do it, you wont damage anything, but your motorised valve is either faulty or its not getting a signal.

The lever on the side is for this purpose, you wont cause any damage but you wont have any control of your heating,

The time clock puts power to the room stat/cylinder stat which inturn put power to the valve, which opens putting power to the boiler/pump.

It all depends on what type of system youve got. :)

Poss the motor in the valve has stopped working. Running your ch in manual should only be seen as a short term fix, until you get it repaired.

It won't damage the boiler, but means that both rads and hw are getting heat whenever the system is on.

Sponsored Links
:) Thanks everyone for your answers.

I don't mind having to do it this way for now. Summer is on it's way!!

When I have the central heating on the hot water goes on aswell anyway.
But, If I want just hot water without central heating how would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

:) Thanks everyone for your answers.

I don't mind having to do it this way for now. Summer is on it's way!!

When I have the central heating on the hot water goes on aswell anyway.
But, If I want just hot water without central heating how would I go about doing this?

Thanks.

:eek: Just close the manual valve then :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back