Very uneven walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has very uneven walls including pipes showing through the walls in some areas. Is there any way of covering this without having to resort to it being re-plastered? I was wondering if any paint effects are heavy duty enough to cover such imperfections.

Sponsored Links
Cham77 said:
My kitchen has very uneven walls including pipes showing through the walls in some areas.

Sounds a bit odd, possibly a diy plaster job at some point, if the walls are that bad, paints are not going to do much good, even those designed for flattening imperfections, they are only designed for hairline cracks and minor surface imperfections.

Dot and Dab would be the answer or a re skim by a good plasterer.

I would be slightly concerned that if the pipes are that bad, what about the electrics. I would get your pipe and cable tracer out and find all of the pipework and cables before continuing.

A pic would be good.

There are a few products on the market now aimed at the DIYer for smoothing walls.....artex and poycell both make one, they normally come in 10kg tubs and you will need a wide blade apllicator...all told should set you back about 30 quid.

Cheaper than getting a plasterer.

As for paint effects, emulsion rag rolling is great for covering a wall with a poor surface.

Go for three colours..a light base colour, white or something a lot ligther than the base in between...then a darker colour on top...keep the colours all similar to ensure the final effect is subtle.......rag rolling doesnt not have to be the equiv of a smack in the mouth with a baseball bat!......you want something subtle and easy to live with.

As its in a kitchen, a coat of clear emulsion glaze will allow it to be scubbed.

If you ned any more advice with the rag roling feel free to ask......theres a lot to getting started properly.....the actual practical side is easy though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back