Sagging Supply Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has just brought to my attention what is shown in this photo (and there's more of the same, and worse, out of sight of this photo). What you see is what eventually (after a tortuous route) become the 3-phase supply to my house from the overhead feed. The four cables appear to be about 25mm² (very probably pre-metric) PVC insulated/sheathed singles (and, just for fun, the neutral one appears to have red insulation when it gets to my house!). Once clipped in pairs to the wall, the majority of the aged clips have totally disintegrated - with the result that can be seen.

My first reaction was that this is tyhe DNO's problem, not mine (and certainly not my neighbour's, who is merely providing a rent-free wall to support my supply!). However, I'd be happy to re-attach the cables, but wonder what would be the best method. One could obviously use single round clips or cleats, or even cable ties with some appropriate fixings, but I wonder if anyone knows of something better - maybe similar to the original clips which accommodated a pair of these cables? ... or is the feeling that the DNO should be left to sort this out?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
You could run them on a 5in cable tray :LOL:
Cable cleats would be the obvious choice
You could use plastic coated steel banding.
Personally I'd leave it up to the DNO.

Defiantly leave it to the dno. The insulation could be cracked or deuterating, you grab hold to put a new cleat on and the next thing you are laying draped across that bird feeder.

Defiantly leave it to the dno. The insulation could be cracked or deuterating, you grab hold to put a new cleat on and the next thing you are laying draped across that bird feeder.
That's clearly the risk, although I would obvioulsy protect myself against such hazards. The reality, of course, is that the window cleaners, painters and plant pruners are touching them all the time! Mind you, the jolt would have to shoot me quite a way to hit the bird feeder - the photo's deceptive, and it's a good 10 feet from the wall!

On a more important issue, given some of the things one hears about, would the DNO attempt to charge me for sorting out this problem with their cables?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
On a more important issue, given some of the things one hears about, would the DNO attempt to charge me for sorting out this problem with their cables

Urban myths are such fun!
No they will not charge to re-clip them on the same route. You never know they might renew/replace them at the same time

On a more important issue, given some of the things one hears about, would the DNO attempt to charge me for sorting out this problem with their cables?
Kind Regards, John.

Not at all. It is their equipment and they are legally obliged to maintain it and make sure it is safe.

The only time they can charge you for a repair is if they can prove that your actions had a deuterating effect on their equipment or if you damaged it.

Urban myths are such fun!
No they will not charge to re-clip them on the same route.
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess that contacting them and finding someone who understands what I'm talking about may be a more interesting exercise?

Urban You never know they might renew/replace them at the same time
Yes, I did consider that possibility - although it does look to be in surprisingly good condition. Do I take it that they would be likely to replace it with singles if they did?

...and, of course, I might even then end up with a more approprate insulation colour for the neutral than red :)

Kind Regards, John.

Not at all. It is their equipment and they are legally obliged to maintain it and make sure it is safe.
Glad to see that common sense and reality coincide for once!

The only time they can charge you for a repair is if they can prove that your actions had a deuterating effect on their equipment or if you damaged it.
Well, I imagine that they'd be on a loser if they tried that one, since it isn't even my property to which it was clipped.

Kind Regards, John.

how physically big would the equivalent concentric cable be

If I recall about 15mm diameter. Though if the existing is in fair condition they'll more than likely just reclip it

If I recall about 15mm diameter. Though if the existing is in fair condition they'll more than likely just reclip it
Thanks. The link posted by Wontdothatagain seems to indicate that 3-core 25mm² is 22.9mm diameter - but, as I said, superficially it looks to be in quite good condition, despite it's age (I've been here for about 24 years, and it was far from new when we arrived).

Kind Regards, John.

Iv'e asked them to move that bird feeder in case of such an event but do they ever listen ? :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back