MOT

Sponsored Links
Another effort to get older cars off the road, just where they expect Mr average to get the money to buy a new car is beyond me.

Wotan

New cars don't seem to fare a lot better but I suppose the principle is that if you can afford a new car you can afford to have it repaired.

Peter

Sponsored Links
If anything, I think older cars without all those "whistles and bells" will fare BETTER! It's the newer ones that we're going to see prematurely scrapped, if anything!

Glad to see they're cracking down on aftermarket HIDs. I get sick and tired of being half blinded by these muppets with their weird coloured home-made conversions and no levelling control!

New cars don't seem to fare a lot better but I suppose the principle is that if you can afford a new car you can afford to have it repaired.

Peter

Millions of people own older cars, not by choice, but due to financial constraints.
They are the ones who will struggle.

As an aside, its more ecologically friendly to keep older cars running, than to build new.

I couldn't agree more - I come into that catagory. I'm one of those winging pensioners.

Peter

As an aside, its more ecologically friendly to keep older cars running, than to build new.

Speaking as someone with a 20+ year old car, I'd love that to be true, but I've a feeling that's an urban myth, to be honest! I think about 6 years was a figure bandied about by the motor industry as the break-even, after which the total CO2 emissions of an "equivalent" new car (including manufacture), would be better than those of an old one. OK, the motor industry exists to sell new cars, but I've a feeling even Greenpeace reckon it's only 10 years?

I would disagree with some of it:

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

This suggests that it is a legal requirement that a caravan socket is wired to "the standard" however this is only a common way of wiring them and AFAIK not a legal requirement.

Someone may have a very good reason for wiring it differently.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions.

What if someone wants their seat in a fixed position never to move and has made it so?

How are they to check that all the waning lights work?

Also I have a cracked front fog light, I always get an advisory for it as it makes no difference to its visibility. I expect I may fail on it now despite it not actually being included as it is the rear fog that is.

Interesting reading empip, thanks
Perhaps you could, or anyone else, advise me.
I'm about to replace the complete exhaust on my Toyota Supra Mk3, 1990. It currently has a cat but I was intending to replace it with a non-cat exhaust.
Under the new rules, is that acceptable?

Was it originally fitted with a cat? If so then according to the AA site it will result in failure. If not and as it is a pre 92 (when cats became mandatory) it ought to be ok.

TBH, I don't know if it was originally fitted with a cat. As it's twenty years old and on about 115,000 miles, I think I'm safe in assuming it's not got its original exhaust now.

It's also a bummer on my '95 Disco'. I fitted a new exhaust about 12 months ago and replaced it with a non-cat exhaust.

Ask an MOT tester first, if they say it's ok then take it to them for the MOT :evil:
As for the disco, nothing you can do bar add a cat

This may be ominous for some.

The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.

-0-

They use something called the "emissions publication". It's a listing of every car sold in the UK that should have been fitted with a cat - regardless of whether it was built before the cut-off date. When you look at the MOT inspection manual flowchart for emissions and it talks about an "exact match", meaning that the vehicle make and model has to be an exact match with the listing in the emissions publication otherwise it just goes on age. I imagine that these days, they've just got it on the VOSA database now, so as soon as they put in the registration or VIN, it will search the database automatically and tell the tester whether it's supposed to have a cat or not. Was the Supra an import? If so, it probably won't be listed, so you needn't worry about fitting the cat if that's the case.

Sponsored Links
Back