2001 GE Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the motor runs during any cycle the motor sometimes starts to cycle on and off. The lights even dim a bit in the room. Motor appears to be pretty hot. Is the thermal protection in the motor kicking in an out? Motor bad? Any tips would be great. :(

MOD

see this

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I found that the cycling sound of the motor is the low speed. When the motor goes to low speed the controller selects another set of windings. The voltage feeding the low speed winding is being turned on at off at a rate of about once every 2 seconds. Does anyone know if this is a common failure of the controller board? icon_twisted.gif

Sponsored Links
I also have a GE washer and have the exact same symptoms as you do. I notice the problem mostly when the machine starts to go into a spin cycle and then I hear the loud click noise and the lights dim. I have found that if the machine has been used in several hours it will work fine for awhile before the problem emerges again.

FIXED IT!!! ,
Turns out the internal switch in the motor that switches between high and low speed had burned contacts. Could not switch to low speed when the centrifugal force pushed the contact. Cleaned the contacts, probably wouldn't last long, Does anyone know if the switch can be bought? If not I'll rebuild the contacts.

Sponsored Links
oppeau said:
Does anyone know if the switch can be bought? If not I'll rebuild the contacts.

for what its worth, probably is the answer, but i suggest you read this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back