Fireproof Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our home is wired with cable that looks like copper piping. I have been told that it is fireproof cable and that it is better than PVC cable. The house is almost 40 years old now and I was wondering if it would need rewiring. We have had no problems with the electrics and the cable looks almost new even though it has been around since the house was built. Can anyone tell me how long this type of cable lasts?

Sponsored Links
quicksilver said:
Our home is wired with cable that looks like copper piping. I have been told that it is fireproof cable and that it is better than PVC cable. The house is almost 40 years old now and I was wondering if it would need rewiring. We have had no problems with the electrics and the cable looks almost new even though it has been around since the house was built. Can anyone tell me how long this type of cable lasts?

its MICC you have. at leats you have a good earth!. maybe get a PIR done - this will show if a re-wire is needed

Sounds like pyro, also known as MICC.
The only surefire way you can find out if the property needs rewiring is if you have a PIR (periodic inspection report) carried out by an electrician. Providing the cable is not abused, does not get damp in or damaged, the cable should last almost indefinately.

its actually solid coper cores, insulated my magnesioum oxide, this is then covered by a copper sheath (the bit you can see)

It really is fire proof and was often used in fire alarms. unlike most cables where you just stip it and connect it, each end has to be "made off" with a "pot" this pot is screwed on, filled with a sealing compund, a small "core seperator" is then put on, it is then "crimped" then insulating rubber is put on to give the cores insulation

only thing with yours is its likely to be an old imperial size

Sponsored Links
MICC is a very good cable type (expensive and hard to work with though so pretty rare in domestic installations)

provided its properly sealed it should last basically forever but if damp gets into the cable through a poor joint or damage the insulation resistance will plumet.

its also about the most fireproof cable type availible. I'm not positive but i think to destroy it requires heating to the melting point of copper.

plugwash said:
MICC is a very good cable type (expensive and hard to work with though so pretty rare in domestic installations)

provided its properly sealed it should last basically forever but if damp gets into the cable through a poor joint or damage the insulation resistance will plumet.

its also about the most fireproof cable type availible. I'm not positive but i think to destroy it requires heating to the melting point of copper.
I remember the trade adverts with a steamroller flattening it and still the insulation reading was infinity! the other demo was a coil at the bottom of a swimming pool for a month (supposedly) taken out stripped back(six inches to a foot ) and the cable had perfect readings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back