New toilet, cistern overflowing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Fitted a new toilet today but when we turn the water on the valve doesn't stop when it gets full so it keeps filling then going down the overflow.

It's a modern type with a half flush feature but had no instructions in the box so assumed I didn't need to adjust anything on the valve but clearly something is amiss....

What should I be checking?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Make/model would be good, photos of the inside of the cistern would be even better, they don't all use the same mechanisms

Sponsored Links
Torbecks take a few seconds to shut off after the float arm has raised / you've held them up. Have you tried adjusting the float downwards? Also check that the hinge part of the arm is correctly located, if it's not it won't shut off.

turn the long threaded plastic up or down to control height of water.

Thanks for your reply, I tried this and it had no impact. The water flow is affected but either the height of the flow or whether it's up or down (even when adjusted by hand to try and stop the flow).

Perhaps I should replace the valve? Just seems strange as its brand new...

Might just be a duff one, either contact the supplier of your toilet and ask for a replacement or buy a Fluidmaster PRO45B

Torbecks take a few seconds to shut off after the float arm has raised / you've held them up. Have you tried adjusting the float downwards? Also check that the hinge part of the arm is correctly located, if it's not it won't shut off.

Thanks for your reply, it's definitely not stopping after a few seconds when pushed up by the water or by hand.

As for the hinged part of the arm is seems to move freely and was already situated in the cistern out of the box...

Thanks again for all your replies

Make sure the mechanism is not too tight against the back of the cistern too as this can cause it to overflow.

Make sure the mechanism is not too tight against the back of the cistern too as this can cause it to overflow.

I think that this probably isn't the problem as the OP has stated it doesn't shut off when he manually raises the float arm, and also that it raises when the water level rises. Do try to read the comments before posting...

I think that this probably isn't the problem as the OP has stated it doesn't shut off when he manually raises the float arm, and also that it raises when the water level rises. Do try to read the comments before posting...

Not sure what you mean bud.

OP stated "Thanks for your reply, it's definitely not stopping after a few seconds when pushed up by the water or by hand

As for the hinged part of the arm is seems to move freely and was already situated in the cistern out of the box..."

Ergo your comment is unhelpful on the grounds that it was proved to be an incorrect theory before you posted it, hence my suggestion that you read what's above before posting ;)

OP stated "Thanks for your reply, it's definitely not stopping after a few seconds when pushed up by the water or by hand

As for the hinged part of the arm is seems to move freely and was already situated in the cistern out of the box..."

Ergo your comment is unhelpful on the grounds that it was proved to be an incorrect theory before you posted it, hence my suggestion that you read what's above before posting ;)

Get a life m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back