car emissions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, Can anybody help please. Cant afford to change my car its passed everything in the MOT but the dam emissions can anybody give me some advice??? A mate told me take the air filter out and that will lower the emissions is this true?
Its a Renault Laguna R reg

Sponsored Links
Its always best to submit the car for MOT in as good condition as is possible, and engine wise this means a new air filter and spark plugs at least for low emissions.
Leaving the air filter out won't work, and to give the car its best shot the catalytic converter needs to be very very hot.
If it still won't pass, then its time for remedial work, I'm afraid.
John :)

It depends what was wrong on the emissions. Do you have the printout from the gas analyser? The choices are CO, HC and Lambda. If the CO is high or the Lambda is too low, taking the air filter out MIGHT help a bit, but there are plenty of other possible causes. Taking it for a good thrash (high speed, / high revs) and getting the car stinking hot might also help.

Sponsored Links
It depends what was wrong on the emissions. Do you have the printout from the gas analyser? The choices are CO, HC and Lambda. If the CO is high or the Lambda is too low, taking the air filter out MIGHT help a bit, but there are plenty of other possible causes. Taking it for a good thrash (high speed, / high revs) and getting the car stinking hot might also help.
A good high speed thrash will clean out both a diesel and a petrol car - New Oil and filter will help too :idea:

BUt- a bottle of FORTE in the fuel tank and a (Italian tune up) ie: a real good thrashing for 20 miles or so will get emmissions down- guaranteed. :)

Back