Where to hide cable blocks for wall/ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing 2 wall lights and 2 ceiling lights in my new house. I have found that in three of the four lights a cable block was in the back of the light mounting wrapped in electrical tape (the other is a ceiling rose). I have been doing a bit of research to find out whether or not tape is a suitable way of protecting a cable block. The instructions for the new lights suggest they are but a bit of research on the internet suggests that the chocboxes are a better idea as they act as a layer of insulation in their own right.

The problem I have is that in none of the lights I have will a choc box fit inside the light fitting. I presume the only way around this is to make the hole where the cable comes through larger and hide a box in the cavity. So is a cable block and tape satisfactory (I guess it must have been 15 years ago when the wiring was done)? If not do I have to make a hole in the wall or is there a mini chocbox I can use?

Sponsored Links
as long as the connector blocks are within the accessory and the outersheath of the cables entering the accessory/emerging from plaster or ceiling is still intact as they enter, then that is acceptable. your ceiling rose should accomodate this. Some wall light fittings, if they have a switched live are difficult to terminate in a small space. You can split the connectors into individuals to help find space and/or knock a small bit of wall/plaster out behind the fitting.

Sponsored Links
It is not satisfactory to either hide joints within walls or insulate terminal connection blocks.
If the cable lengths are long enough they should enter the accessory/fitting, where they can be then placed in a terminal connection block and no need to tape or choc within accessory.
If the only option is for the joints to be within wall or floor, the best method would be by use of a MF junction

Thanks for your replies. My plan A is definitely to fit the connection in the light mounting and the cables are long enough. There just isn't space for anything more protective than the screw cable block provided with the light. If that is ok then there isn't really a problem.

Thanks for your replies. My plan A is definitely to fit the connection in the light mounting and the cables are long enough. There just isn't space for anything more protective than the screw cable block provided with the light. If that is ok then there isn't really a problem.
A connection block within the fitting, without the use of a choc box, is acceptable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back