Triton Jade problem - burnt cable on outlet TCO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone on here know about Triton showers in particular the Triton Jade ?

This morning i noticed a strong smell of burning.

Upon examination, i noticed that at what i understand to be the "outlet TCO", there are 3 cables and connectors........2 x blue and 1 earth

The top connector is very charred and the spade connector where it attaches to the "small black disk" is very loose.

The bottom connector is fine and so is the earth too.

So just to get me out of a hole, is it safe to run without the top cable connected completely ??

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
You run it without the cable connected or the tco in a failed state you'll loose power on one element and the shower will only be warm not hot.

This time of yr with the mains water supply being alot warmer than the winter you may get a descent warm shower with the bottom temp dial turned to a higher number but the flow will be low.

The reason for the wire failure is due to a bad connection on the tco so the wire has over heated and burnt.

So just replace the section of wire and make sure the connections are sound/tight and all will be ok.

thanks for the reply seco - appreciated !

The flat spade connector on the top of the outlet TCO is damaged....i can move it back and forth - is this a problem or as you say, can i run without the top one connected ?

Also, the section of cable.
It looks like its stranded cable and quite thick, presumably due to the high current.

Can i replace it with a section of 2.5mm from some twin and earth ?

The flat spade connector on the top of the outlet TCO is damaged....i can move it back and forth - is this a problem or as you say, can i run without the top one connected ?

The loose connection is the problem.
As for running without it, yes the shower will run but not at full heat you'll loose an element.
Long term i would fix it and know the shower is running how it should.

Also, the section of cable.
It looks like its stranded cable and quite thick, presumably due to the high current.

Yes.

Can i replace it with a section of 2.5mm from some twin and earth ?

No you'll more likely find a section of 2.5mm is to small.
Take the section of wire to ie maplins electrical and they sort you out some wire and spade connectors.

Sponsored Links
You could try and fix it, but this is a Homebase model. They dont seem to last as long as some others. I replaced one a couple of weeks ago and it was only £75 and a straight swap. Might be easier to go down that route. Replacement was a Jade 3,the new model. If shower is over a couple of years old other parts will start failing soon.

dont want to sound flippant but please tell me your not giving advice to a complete novice who does not even know the difference between 2.5mm
cable and correct cablle which should be min of 6mm t+e or 10mmt+e
get someone in to do this water and electricity do not mix

peekay53

we all make mistakes thats why they put rubbers on pencils

cable is immaterail you should not be advising complete novices on how to repair electrical appliances encouraging ppl to diy when it is outside their skill set is not best practice in opinion

peekay53

That can be said for most of the posts on a forum plumbing/electrics etc.
If i don't tell him someone will, better to know what the fault is than some tradesman mugging him off for a new shower.
What his doing is not illegal so good luck to him.

That can be said for most of the posts on a forum plumbing/electrics etc.
If i don't tell him someone will, better to know what the fault is than some tradesman mugging him off for a new shower.
What his doing is not illegal so good luck to him.

Agreed.

some tradesman mugging him off ??? what the hell i take it seco services you are some kind of tradesman well surely you should be last person to be talking like that as you know far more decent honest tradesmen out there than scammers.
I only give advice never explain how to carry out repair

peekay

Sean

In addition to what seco said, you need a rachet crimp tool for this and, as it's a moist environment, I'd recommend a smear of dielectric grease on the blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back