Guitar potentiometer as lamp dimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it will get the job done, but I don't want to fry myself or burn the pot. Would, say, a 500K or 1 meg pot made for a guitar work for a lamp project that runs on main electric (120V, 60Hz AC)? Thanks!

KJ

Sponsored Links
Maybe he's building a dimmer....

But any thoughts of using the pot as a dimmer in series with the light would display about the most staggering level of electrical ignorance I've ever encountered....

That's not to say you couldn't use a pot, but it'd need to be a very big one.

One from a guitar would be rated at about .5 of a Watt so would be very little use and as already pointed out would melt. I've seen 2 and 10W ones but they are more expensive than a cheap dimmer.

Mate, to be honest, and don't take this the wrong way, considering your lack of knowledge in this field, I'd just buy one ;)

Sponsored Links
Actually, having thought about this a little more, perhaps it won't melt.

It might catch fire instead.

OK, point taken, I'll go buy a normal dimmer. I am making a lamp that looks like a guitar amp, so an authentic look is what I'm going for. Thanks for the help -

KJ

seriously though, use a regular dimmer and shove a normal guitar-amp style knob onto it. Perfect looks, and it'll work too.

They usually have loads of knobs, don't they?

productsoverview.jpg

yeah - I'm going to put on some 'dummy' knobs, and have either the gain or master volume knob be the dimmer. I found a museum picture bulb that looks similar to a tube, and that's where the idea came from.

This "tube" may be what we in the UK (see the title of this forum) call a thermionic valve.

Sponsored Links
Back