Power Shower Pump tripping breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power shower pump housed in the loft, plugged into the mains via a small plug in circuit breaker.

This all works fine except that periodically the shower won't turn on as the breaker has tripped. A reset is all that is needed.

This happens maybe once a month: doesn't correspond to any pattern. Never trips in "mid shower" only if it has been off for a while (eg overnight) then is switched on.

Any ideas? Could the breaker be rated too low for the pump? Could the pump be at fault (though as I say it normally works perfectly)? Could the breaker be faulty or too sensitive.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Some details would be helpful such as what rating the breaker is and the loading from the shower etc.
Very difficult to crank up the crystal ball on a Tuesday evening.

I'll check out the rating details and post back.

"Tripping through surge" - wouldn't that imply that it would shut down mid-shower? It has NEVER done that - always between uses.

Sponsored Links
taylora98 said:
I'll check out the rating details and post back.

"Tripping through surge" - wouldn't that imply that it would shut down mid-shower? It has NEVER done that - always between uses.
no, it means when it starts up it trips, because at startup, thigns take more than their rated current - especially motors and compressors - a household fridge can take, say, 45amps at startup for half a second before it settles down to 2 or 3 amps! and thats only a small compressor!

Having checked the devices I found the following

Shower Pump - AquaLisa Quartz A2. Does not specifically mention the output amount. :confused:

Plug in Circuit Breaker- appears to be rated to 30mA (230V 13A)

Anyone know of the specs of a Quartz A2 and whether a breaker as specified would normally be able to handle such a device?

Thanks

30mA that sondslike you are looking at the rcd, not mcb, regarding the shower, have you you googled?

Just to check, do you mean the RCD is tripping, or the MCB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back