Powermax 140 - lock out light!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a powemax 140 boiler and for some reason yesterday it decided to die on me. The lock out light has come on. I have tried the method of turning the boiler off then switching back on after a while (this is described on the top of the boiler) This however is not working. I have no hot water or heat. I have gas flowing to my hob. The bar pressure is at 0 and i am unsure on how to increase this pressure????? I have tried to contact powermax but the number quoted (01904 464300 / 464343) is unobtainable.

Any help would be great, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to repressurise your system.

Read in the stickey bits on this forum.

Its a user action which all users should be aware of and able to do.

Tony

I have had LOTS of problems with my Powermax 140 which would initially lead you to suspect the product itself was the issue, after much expense and hassle I have found that the real problem is that British Gas engineers dont have a clue about these boilers and make school boy errors when trying to fix/service them.

I have had boiling hot water pumped out over my floor due to incompetence by BG and when they came out to service/fix the issue they condemned the boiler and cancelled my contract saying the boiler needed flushing out etc.

The BG engineer also informed me that the boiler had never been fitted correctly because there was inadequate ventilation, this turned out to be a case of creating a simple vent at the bottom of the cupboard where the boiler is, couldnt he of just said that instead of condemning it and makning me think there was a serious fault !!!!
I have since found out BG installed the wrong pressure valve leaving it at 3 bar instead of 1 allowing the pressure inside the boiler to reach 3 bar causing all sorts of problems including pumping hot ater out the overflow for a year until it scaled up and flooded my flat.

I spent £300 on getting Baxi out to fix/service the boiler which includes a 1 year warranty against any further breakdowns and its run like a dream ever since, no more lock outs, noise etc and both their customer services and engineer could run rings round BG who are useless.

There is a gold/brass coloured valve at the top of the boiler that dumps excess air from the system and this was found to be the problem with my lock outs as pressure was fine. The BG engineer had closed the black cap on the top stopping the air from escaping.

Note also this boiler is almost silent at firing up when working properly so if BG say a screeching noise is normal ignore them, the burners/electrodes need a service/changing and after its as quiet as a mouse.

hope this helps someone else avoid getting messed around by BG , go to Baxi as they are spot on and so professional !!!

Sponsored Links
I have had LOTS of problems with my Powermax 140 which would initially lead you to suspect the product itself was the issue, after much expense and hassle I have found that the real problem is that British Gas engineers dont have a clue about these boilers and make school boy errors when trying to fix/service them.

I have had boiling hot water pumped out over my floor due to incompetence by BG and when they came out to service/fix the issue they condemned the boiler and cancelled my contract saying the boiler needed flushing out etc.

The BG engineer also informed me that the boiler had never been fitted correctly because there was inadequate ventilation, this turned out to be a case of creating a simple vent at the bottom of the cupboard where the boiler is, couldnt he of just said that instead of condemning it and makning me think there was a serious fault !!!!
I have since found out BG installed the wrong pressure valve leaving it at 3 bar instead of 1 allowing the pressure inside the boiler to reach 3 bar causing all sorts of problems including pumping hot ater out the overflow for a year until it scaled up and flooded my flat.

I spent £300 on getting Baxi out to fix/service the boiler which includes a 1 year warranty against any further breakdowns and its run like a dream ever since, no more lock outs, noise etc and both their customer services and engineer could run rings round BG who are useless.

There is a gold/brass coloured valve at the top of the boiler that dumps excess air from the system and this was found to be the problem with my lock outs as pressure was fine. The BG engineer had closed the black cap on the top stopping the air from escaping.

Note also this boiler is almost silent at firing up when working properly so if BG say a screeching noise is normal ignore them, the burners/electrodes need a service/changing and after its as quiet as a mouse.

hope this helps someone else avoid getting messed around by BG , go to Baxi as they are spot on and so professional !!!

couldn't agree more! if only you knew the inside story and the pending court case. . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back