Dimmers With Spots

BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to replace my normal ceiling light with spotlights and I want to change the light switch to a dimmer. The spots I have been looking at have ranged from 4 x 20w upto 5 x 50w with the transformer included. Is it acceptable to use either of these with a dimmer? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
so long as the dimmer is rated at or slightly more than the total wattage of the lights then yes. How ever if you are getting a low volatge light, make sure it can be operated by a dimmer (it will say so on the box)

Thanks Breezer,

A lot of these products never really specify what they can and can not be used with! What would be the consequence if I used it on a set of lights that were not dimmer compatible?

I think I saw one of your replies on dimmers that said they can generally handle up to 300w, hence Ive been looking at spots under the 300w mark.

Thanks for your help

if the light you are looking at are mains then you have no worries (apart from as i mentioned) it is if you have low voltage lights ( i have in here) that there is a problem. It is the transformer, some can not be dimmed, (don't even try it)

the average dimmer is only 250 watt but you can get higher i used to have one that was 1200 watts

Sponsored Links
OK, I`ll check to see if the transformer can be dimmed.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.

At 1200W, you'll need to dedicate a whole room just to fit the dimmer in your house :LOL:

Breezer,

Ive found some spots that are 240v Halogen - would these be dimmer compatible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back