any info on retraining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bother you guys with this but I couldn\\\'t find help anywhere else. I am interested in retraining as an electrician but unfortunately I\\\'m not an 18 yr old school leaver so companies ain\\\'t interested.I\\\'ve also tried local colleges with no success.Any info on where to start would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
as you are in Scotland the ONLY place to start (if you want a JIB grade) is

http://www.sectt.org.uk

you can apply online for a skill + colour blindness test at a local college and take it from there.

PS what age are you?

thanx baldelectrician. I will give that a try and see how I get on. I'm 35 and looking to do what I shoulda done 18 years ago :)

rj

I am getting 4-5 calls a week from people (usually kids) looking for apprenticeships.

Your situation isn't good- you are too dear, if I can get someone for £3.25 per hour why take an older person for £7-£8 per hour (jib rates for mature apprentices)

Sponsored Links
you're right mate, it doesn't look too good. But if I can at least get some theoretical qualifications then maybe I can get some fool erm..I mean some local company to give me some on the job training. Cheers

I qualified as an older apprentice (in my mid 20's). I got the job by offering to work below the JIB rate for my age! (electrical work was thin on the ground at the time!). It was tough living at first but if you're any good then the money should go up once you start to become a bit useful!

From 'Drugby' eh?

Ask for Alan Hewitt (assuming he's still there) at Warwickshire College - Rugby Centre and see if you can persuade him to let you on a part-time 2361 course as a start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back