1st post: Wiring Mecury Electric Cooker, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First Post, so play nice ;)

I have a new Mercury Cooker which has had it's gas line fitted but now needs it's electrics hooked up. My electrician has hooked up a seperate line box which is wired into a 45amp fusebox cooker switch.

I now need to wire the cooker to the line box. I have some 6mm heavy duty 50amp cable, just need a few pointers.

I have some images here:

Cooker point
cooker.jpg

Wall Line Box
box.jpg

Wire
cable.jpg

Hopefully you can all see these :)

My electrician had hoped to connect everything up himself shortly after the cooker was delivered. But he has nearly sawn his fingers off in a rather nasty hedge trimming accident and cannot do the work I wanted.

He is obviously going to check off my handywork, but I wondered if anyone on these boards could help me here on the right connections.

Great forums by the way and glad I am now a part.

Thanks in advance.

edited to correct image links

Sponsored Links
ok, that looks nice and easy. You need to wire that cable into the wall box, using the cable grip (not sure if these cooker points have one though). Just connect the 3 cores to the 3 terminals with the other cores.

Then take the other end into the back of the cooker, again, using the cable grip shown. It would be wise to read the instructions, but in the picture it looks like live, neutral and earth from left to right. so connect the wires to the same coloured wire in the cooker.

Make sure all the connections are nice and neat and tight - dont leave stray lengths of core floating about, trim the wires down so all the cores go straight into the holes. And sleeve the earth wires too, you can get heatshrink earth sleeve from all DIY shops.

And a couple of things - 6mm cable has various ratings depending on how it is installed - insulation affects a cable badly, cutting up to 50% off its current capacity, this applies to all cables. And length plays a part too, again, the longer a cable, the more volts it will loose on its journey to the appliance! Not an issue here, but it means a 6mm cable is not always rated at 47 amps - this is an absolute maximum.

Also, could you go back and edit your first post, to make the end of the
b]g] instead, then they will be visible on this page. Cheers, and good luck!

Thanks Crafty :D , I really appreciate your help.

The 6mm wire length from the cooker terminal to the wall box is no more than 2ft so hopefully it will not lose too much.

I am attempting the wiring tonight, so thanks for the help.

Thanks also to Mod Lynda for the image edit :LOL:

Quick update, all earths shielded all wires tightly in place. Replaced fuse in fusebox, switch on and all perfect.

Thanks again to Crafty, I am going to christen my new pizza stone tonight in the new oven :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for letting us know how you got on! Thats what this forum is all about, happy endings!

Pizza . . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmm <droool>

Thanks again Crafty

Another quick question to anyone out there, sorry :cool:

The Mercury have two ovens and we have been using them over the weekend and the smell coming out of them is terrible :oops: and no it's not my pizza :rolleyes:

I spoke with the supplier and they say there is a chance of a smell in early use with the oil etc being burnt off the elements and liner.

But, peeewwwwww is this really normal?

skywalker1010 said:
But, peeewwwwww is this really normal?

yes, but...

Are you sure it is not the wires and connections that are hot? After doing a bit of cooking, turn off the power and feel them before they have time to cool down. Loose connections overheat.

If it is just oil and paint burning off the elements and inside the ovens, it will go off after a couple of times use.

Its normal.
Elements need to be 'Burnt In', You will also get smoke, best way is turn oven on leave on full for about 10/15 mins with the doors open. Hobs also need to be Burnt In' but the smell does not taint the food like in the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back