BAXI 133HE

On this occasion Dr Drivell is correct, the regulations only require an "interlock" which can be a room stat or a "no flow" sensor in the CH circuit.

Dr Drivell, I really prefer that name rather than Water Systems, is retired and so he does not need to have the Efficiency Certificate.

In any case he has never done any practical work but used to work on a commercial boiler design team particularly on burners, but that was some time ago.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
On this occasion Dr Drivell is correct, the regulations only require an "interlock" which can be a room stat or a "no flow" sensor in the CH circuit.

Dr Drivell, I really prefer that name rather than Water Systems, is retired and so he does not need to have the Efficiency Certificate.

In any case he has never done any practical work but used to work on a commercial boiler design team particularly on burners, but that was some time ago.

Tony

It is clearly obvious that you are confused and haven't got much of a clue. Unfortunately that is the case.

croydoncorgi said:
The CH flow switch operates at 4.5 litres/hour. You'd need a VERY effective set of TRVs to ensure that the flow stayed below that rate (to prevent the boiler from firing)!

You obviously didn't read this bit!

I did and saw nothing of consequence.

And if you knew the boiler, you'd also know that the flow switch in question is a magnetic rod with no return spring, and is so 'light' that it frequently sticks in the ON position!

How many have you found that stick? This a newish model, one you didn't know had a flow switch either. Now you know the innards backwards.

Is the statement Flow switch fitted as standard – Part L compliance via flow switch for fully TRV’d systems, which means no room stat or bypass required. your idea or Baxi's?

From their literature.

As you're no doubt aware (being omnicient), the Baxi website is down at present, so it's not possible to check. Are you sure the latest Building Regs Part L and the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide permits this approach?

Yes. A Control Interlock is how it is termed, to eliminate boiler cycling. There are various ways to acheive this, a flow switch is just one. This is all very basic stuff that any heating man would know.

More heat than light here....perhaps thats appropriate on a CH forum ;)

Whether a Baxi 133HE needs a roomstat or not doesn't bother me much.

I'd have thought that fitting a nice little programmable room stat would improve the functionality of the system for very little cost. Even a conventional roomstat like a honeywell would be a good idea...ordinary mortals can understand them whereas programmables have been know to defeat people as they take a bit of understanding for some..and therefore undermine their very purpose. I have a Danfos TP5 on my Vokera Combi, and once it was set up its saved me a bundle, and we just let it get on with it to control the house temp.(along with the TRVs of course.)

Common sense or what?

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Alfredo said:
More heat than light here....perhaps thats appropriate on a CH forum ;)

It says central heating

Whether a Baxi 133HE needs a roomstat or not doesn't bother me much.

I'd have thought that fitting a nice little programmable room stat would improve the functionality of the system for very little cost. Even a conventional roomstat like a honeywell would be a good idea...ordinary mortals can understand them whereas programmables have been know to defeat people as they take a bit of understanding for some..and therefore undermine their very purpose. I have a Danfos TP5 on my Vokera Combi, and once it was set up its saved me a bundle, and we just let it get on with it to control the house temp.(along with the TRVs of course.)

Common sense or what?

No. Not common sense at all. Best have TRVs on all rads if possible and have a simple programmer, not a programmer/stat. People understand TRVs and simple time clocks. Wall stats create cold spots in the house, as what it senses is not representative.

croydoncorgi said:
And if you knew the boiler, you'd also know that the flow switch in question is a magnetic rod with no return spring, and is so 'light' that it frequently sticks in the ON position!

?

Dont think so mate you obviously dont know this boiler at all if you think its a magnetic rod as its in fact a paddle and they very rarely stick in my experience as a Baxi engineer :rolleyes:

You're right.
I stand corrected- I wasthinking of an earlier type.

I do stand by my other comment - manual states clearly that the switch operates at only 4.5 l/hour, which strikes me as a very, very small flow through (say) 6 TRVs in parallel.

In Baxi's own experience, is a room stat 'desirable' or not?

"No. Not common sense at all. Best have TRVs on all rads if possible and have a simple programmer, not a programmer/stat. People understand TRVs and simple time clocks. Wall stats create cold spots in the house, as what it senses is not representative"

Working on a series of contracts with about 15,000 tenanted properties in total I can quite simply say my experience suggests you are a bit wide of the mark, though perhaps we are making different points . Before part L the spec dictated to us by the Landlords was..typically.. combi & built in programmer & TRVs with no room stat. At first the complaints from tenants with this set up were only a trickle, but once tenant forums got wind of it the complaints flooded in and virtually all systems have been retrofitted with a simple room stat (honeywell). It may be true that in many cases the tenants just use them as a simple and convenient on/off switch, but there are plenty more who have learned to use them more intelligently, particularly the elderly on small pensions, for whom we mark up the room stats with suitable settings. My main occupation is servicing engineer so i get to meet an awful lot of tenants week by week, and believe it or not we do discuss with them the systems in their properties, and how to get the best out of them. The approval rating from tenants who have had a room stat retrofitted is pretty well 100%..and yes they are polled by the landlords for their tenant satisfaction ratings on work done..so we get both informal and formal feedback.

We can also give them a basic guide to settings..but occasionally the male (usually) of the houshold reckons everything from the boiler stat to the TRVs and room stat should be on full. (we've all found cyl stats on 90 after you KNOW you set it to 55 the previous year :rolleyes: ).but you can't get through to all of them.

As I said, the system in my own house works spot on as far as i'm concerned, and we rarely touch any of the controls..ever...I quite fancy doing a solar water heating setup to run with the combi...I'm thinking about that one for a while before doing it though.

Each to his own i suppose
Alfredo

Alfredo said:
"No. Not common sense at all. Best have TRVs on all rads if possible and have a simple programmer, not a programmer/stat. People understand TRVs and simple time clocks. Wall stats create cold spots in the house, as what it senses is not representative"

<snip babble>

Each to his own i suppose
Alfredo

No again. Some way are just better than others. Yours are not.

gazthepottertonengineer said:
croydoncorgi said:

?

Dont think so mate you obviously dont know this boiler at all if you think its a magnetic rod as its in fact a paddle and they very rarely stick in my experience as a Baxi engineer :rolleyes:

If you read back on the thread, he obviously made all this up.

croydoncorgi said:
You're right.

No. You just made things up thinking you were clever - but you are far from it.

I do stand by my other comment - manual states clearly that the switch operates at only 4.5 l/hour, which strikes me as a very, very small flow through (say) 6 TRVs in parallel.

What the hell are you on about. That is the minimum the heat exchanger can take - which is obvious. Very small flow? What the hell are you on about? That is what it is supposed to do.

This is the turkey who constantly tells people condensing boilers on heat banks will not condense - he just can’t figure it out. Reading the crap these people spout, really doesn't give confidence in the levels of competence.

In Baxi's own experience, is a room stat 'desirable' or not?

Only if you need one. Duh!!!!

Water Systems....Alfredo didn't write the bit you quoted me as writing...I think you wrote it actually. Apart from which I can't understand yor reply anyway..so what the heck. Its friday night..long week etc. It been bloody baxi bermudas all day today and yesterday.. very dull servicing..except I condemned one yesterday for spilling when it shouldn't..tenants comment.."well it was alright last year"..doncher just love em!

Alfredo

Water Systems said:
croydoncorgi said:
You're right.

No. You just made things up thinking you were clever - but you are far from it.

Oh come on, The man had the good grace to apologies for his understandable mistake and you give him abuse

well I hope you are getting off on it, for the rest of us this is just pathetic

Nice croyden I admire you for apologizing in such a polite manner, I just wish water had the common decency to accept it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back