electric showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i replace my electric shower myself, or do I need building regulation approval. It will be in the same site as the old one and doesn't need any new wireing

Sponsored Links
yes, as long as it is the same spec. and the circuit is still in a satisfactory condition. (check all joints to make sure the cable hasnt melted etc)

Just in case it has been replaced with a more powerful unit, check that the circuit is up to the job of feeding the existing unit. Do the shower rating, switch size (in Amps) and any stand-alone RCD units match the protective device rating?

Fitted it fine just a couple of new holes in the tiles and a bit much cable sticking out that i trimmed. It was the same power as the old shower so no electrical problems. Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
It may be the same "power" as the old shower, my point was, was the old shower suited to the circuit...

The shower is 8.5kw the cabling is 10mm wide and the circuit breaker is 40 amps i used to run the old shower for hours on hot till I came out looking like a very lobster. Any problems and i will get an electrician in. Thanks for the help from securespark

So can I deduce from the above discussion that when I went to a gas boiler breakdown job the other day that I could have replaced the customers shower like for like without notifying BC office?
Providing of course that the cable is adequate, of the correct cross sectional area, and connections are mechanically sound.
I have always been a bit cagey about doing these replacements as I have not got an earth/resistance tester, yet.

All advice gratefully received.

Tim

As a pro, you need one. Otherwise, you would not be able to complete a minor works certificate...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back