Replacement Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently I have my central heating thermostat in the hall, it reads upto 25c. I want to replace it as its old but the one I bought reads upto 30c am I ok to replace it with a 30c one. Was thinking may be the old one was 25c for a reason ie the boiler cant handle anymore than that.

Also when I turn the central heating on, even if its on full whack and thermostat is at max, the boiler shuts down before it reaches the thermostat temp, it then restarts a couple of mins latter, could that indicate a prob with boiler ? Im thinking its probably the fact the thermostat happens to be in the hall which seems to get really warm alot quicker than any other rooms.

Sponsored Links
No the new stat will be fine.

Suggest you turn down the radiator in the hall, so the hall heating isn't quicker than the rest. Close one of the valves on the hall rad and then open it just half a turn, and see how it goes for a day or so..
(That rad should NOT have a thermostatic valve on it.)

Hi, turned down the radiator in the hall and had thermoter in the hall, the central heating still turned itself off after may be 15mins, small pilot light was still on though, then a bit later it kicked off again with the master flame.

I feel stupied asking this but I never noticed it with the boiler in my old flat as I couldnt hear it from the lounge, but do the boilers self regulate ie switch themselves off for a bit to avoid over heating and then start back up ? If so is it normal behaviour for it to do it relatively frequently as it trys to bring the room upto the require temp ?

Forgot to add boiler is an Ideal RS not the lux model so no reset button if it overheats

Sponsored Links
Hi, turned down the radiator in the hall and had thermoter in the hall, the central heating still turned itself off after may be 15mins, small pilot light was still on though, then a bit later it kicked off again with the master flame.

I feel stupied asking this but I never noticed it with the boiler in my old flat as I couldnt hear it from the lounge, but do the boilers self regulate ie switch themselves off for a bit to avoid over heating and then start back up ? If so is it normal behaviour for it to do it relatively frequently as it trys to bring the room upto the require temp ?

Forgot to add boiler is an Ideal RS not the lux model so no reset button if it overheats

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back