Meter/incoming rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of installing an electric shower in my bro's house. CU is very old so i will be replacing it with a split load cu but there is one thing i'm unsure about. The 'leccy meter has 40A max written on it - surely this isn't max load for the house? (Thought it would be at least 60A these days?)It is a very old meter so nothing would suprise me. If it max load, then i guess it will have to be changed, put outside, house re-wired, £1000's spent, job abandoned! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a 40A meter to me, possibly a 40A service head to go with it. I don't know about having to move it outside, you'll need to contact your network operator re this.

Oh nevermind. Will get onto distribution co. and see what they can do but sounds like it could cost a fair bit, just for the luxury of an electric shower.
Cheers for the rapid reply thou.

dont abbandon hope, Ive seen plenty of post about people getting 60A upgraded to 100A on here (but cant remember cost etc, wouldnt imagine 40-100 been much different). i wouldnt expect upgrading that to mean the rest of the house must be upgraded (other than if the wiring is as old and useless, but thats reguardless of how many amps the meter can take)

Sponsored Links
I just got a house PME'd and upgraded to 100Amps that had a "60 Amp" max sticker on the meter. The fix was to put a new 100Amp fuse in the service head and take off the sticker (it was the DNO who did this). Job Done!!

I'm a bit surprised to hear it is a very old meter, they like to change them at intervals (less trouble than testing them for calibration).

Is it a conversion of an old house, by any chance?

The house is a 2 bedroom 20's terraced house with everything fairly original. The previous owner had decided to add some extra lighting in the kitchen and add a few more 2G sockets scattered around the place. Garage power's great too - 'isolated' with a light switch, yee haa! Rest of the house is not too bad thou.

I think you're in the EDF area so they will come out and upgrade for you they normal take about 3 -4 weeks to come out.

As for the age of the house you will need to inspect and test before you even think about new CU as especially as there has been some additions

I would consider a rewire as a property from the 20's will have rubber/cloth insulated cable and no cpc on lighting cct for a start.

Ok, cheers. The installation has been re-wired at some point as all wiring i can see is PVC T&E but you're right, i think a thorough investigation is req'd. Now, is it installation first then a meter change or will they (EDF) change the meter first?

EDF will change/upgrade cut out but not meter as they are responsible for the supply.

Meter change will be down to whoever you pay the leccy bill to.

If it's the old style meter, a call to them to tell them how noisy it is, or, even better, that it doesn't really spin round very fast no matter how much you have switched on, works quite well.

JohnD said:
I'm a bit surprised to hear it is a very old meter, they like to change them at intervals (less trouble than testing them for calibration).
its seems that some do and others don't give a f*ck, i don't think our meter has been replaced or tested since we moved in and that was over 15 years ago.

What I did was ring the DNO and ask for upgrade saying that I wanted to add a high-powered shower to an already overloaded meter/service fuse (40A/40A). They came and changed the head, fuse and meter FOC.

Oh what luck! EDF supply and meter, so one call will be all thats required to get the job done :D Will get on the phone and tell them my meter's running slow & i'm adding a high powered shower - hopefully they'll be round PDQ!

Thanks Gentlemen!

didthathurt said:
If it's the old style meter, a call to them to tell them how noisy it is, or, even better, that it doesn't really spin round very fast no matter how much you have switched on, works quite well.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: love it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back