Stripping Wallpaper - Best Way to do it? ? ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright guys how is everyone today? ? ?

I plan to re-decorate a room this week, and i need to get rid of the existing wallpaper.

What is the best way to prepare the walls in order to make the wallpaper come off easier, any solutions or substances, etc...? ? ?

I have bought some of those wallpaper strippers (the metal things) so i plan to use those.

Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone know of a good place on the internet where you can choose some colours and see how well they compliment eachother, im looking for inspiration for colours to choose for the new paint.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi, can help on both questions there. Firstly my prefered method re wallpaper is to score the old paper. I use a tool called a tiger availiable from all good dedicated decorating centers. Once scored soak with a sponge and water, I add a product called Dif to the water which dissolves the paste and makes stripping far easier. Again availiable from a good decorating center. Make sure you read the instructions though as they have increased the strength of this product so you will need to wash the walls down afterwards otherwise you may get probs. If the paper you have up is a vinyl paper you are best advised to peel it off dry. This will leave the backing paper on the wall, you should not need any additive to the water in this case, just soak it well and then soak it again. It will just peel away a treat. One of the biggest mistakes I see Diyers make with stripping is that they do not soak the paper enough and make a real hard job of it when they come to try and scrape it off. Remember a paper can never be wet enough when stripping but can be too dry :) :)

On your last point go to www.dulux.co.uk from here you will see a link called Mouse Painter. Enter this and work your way around the menus. If you are computer able it should be a doddle for you to use, I am told it works well and can give a good idea of what your finished room will look like. All the best and good luck.

Awesome mate, classic stuff.

Thanks for that, i will have to refer to this tomorrow when i am stripping the walls. :D

Aye, a scorer is your best bet, cos whether you soak the walls or use a steamer (my preferred method) the paper will come off 100 times easier if some moisture can get behind first

I picked a Stanley scorer (a kind of triangular thing with little spiky wheels on it!) from B&Q for about a tenner...you can find em cheaper or you could use the edge of your scraper if you are tight...you rub the wall over with it before scraping and it rips the paper without harming the plaster one bit

I go for steamers because I find that if you start at head height, the water will run down, and it will therefore get easier as you work your way down

And then get a tressle and do the top of the wall - this will already be wet and loosened from the steam rising, and it will run down again...

I've just stripped majority of a victorian terrace of thickly painted woodchip, and that method has served me well

Sponsored Links
Thanks trotter, is it Rodney or Delboy? ? ? ;)

Thanks for the advice mate, appreciate that.

Just be careful with a steamer - it can lift the skim coat of plaster, then you have to fill.
Best bet is very hot soapy water with a big brush..... or as my mate Steve recommends, use a roller. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back