radiators hot at the top/cold at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 raditors upsatirs that are hot at the top and cold at the bottom.
what courses this to happen and can i rectify it ??

Sponsored Links
If you mean they ought to be hot all over, and your problem is that they are partially cold:

the system might need balancing; the pump may need to be turned up a notch, or they may be partially blocked with sludge.

Have a look at the top few items in
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

If you mean they ought to be cold, and your problem is that they are partially hot, please post again and say so.

thanks for the advice.
i have just had my boiler renewed a few weeks back. it been moved too, from upstairs to downstairs. the rads downstairs a fine (nice and hot) the rads upstairs a luke warm and as i said. warm at the top/cold at the bottom.

when the plumber/heating engineer installed the new boiler, he balacned and flushed the system out fine. all rads got nice and hot.

the 2 rads that are coursing the problem are older than the new one installed at the same time i renewed the boiler but its only after a few weeks that this problem has occured with the hot/cold rads.

the plumber is coming back to sort it out but i just wanted to know what coursed this to happen. any clues ????

Could be any of these:
the system might need balancing; the pump may need to be turned up a notch, or they may be partially blocked with sludge.

If you have an old system, then even after flushing it, there will be old muck lurking in corners. Ask you plumber if it would be helpful to fit a Magnaclean device (will cost about £100 plus fitting, but traps all black sludge that circulates in the water, long term. this is helpful to a long and trouble-free life for the boiler and pump.). Also check that an inhibitor was added at the refill, otherwise it will keep corroding and making more sludge.

Sponsored Links
i see if the pump needs turned up because i think this is the only thing the plumber didnt do.
he flushed the system and add inhibator (sental 1000 i think it was)

ok. thanks for you help ill post back and tell you all how i got on .

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back