C&M Chaffoteaux Britony Brittony Combi SE Gas problem

Back to the boiler, the right hand solenoid is the "FULL" gas and has to be open for anything to work at all.

The other two solenoids are in series with the gas supply and are 1/3 and 2/3 respectively.

On CH it works on 1/3 or 2/3 only.

On DHW it works on full ( thats 1/3 + 2/3 ) or 2/3 but NOT on 1/3 only.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, the security solenoid (grey) comes first, followed by two solenoids (1/3, first stage, blue, and 2/3, second stage, black). So for 1/3 gas rate the security and first stage solenoids must be open, and for full gas rate, all three must be open.

I don't think 2/3 gas rate alone is an option. In normal operation the boiler switches from low (1/3) to high (full - 1/3 + 2/3) gas rate to maintain the appropriate DHW or CH flow temperature. Ignition is always at 1/3 gas rate. Sometimes boilers will be range rated on CH by limiting them to 1/3 rate, since this is adequate (8 kW) for smaller systems.

It still has the same problem then the light flashes indicating flame failure, if i press reset it seems to allow the boiler to work for a while then same thing happens with the gas pulsing.

Could it be time to call a professional in before Christmas?

Sponsored Links
I AM PUTTING MY MONEY ON IT BEING THE FLUE GASKET ON TOP OF THE BOILER .THEY BURN AWAY AND LET THE GASSES MIX.

has boiler been drained for more than a week before you used it?

David

The system hasnt been drained for a long time. it doesnt look like its been cared for at all. All the rads had air in.

I will try and get replacement gas valve and also flue gasket and let you know what happens.

thanks

Sorry havent updated in a while. I took the flue joining plate to the 90 degree bend off and found that the inner flue (the metal one) had come out of the socket (not sure how). I refitted this and gas is burning in current manner now.

NEW problem Pressure fault lights were flashing gauge was at 1 bar. i found the water pressure switch and bridged the connection and CH seemed to run perfect but DhW coming on and off not running constant.

replaced switch for £50 it is located ontop of PRV and held in with an r clip and it was push fit (screw fit was supplied first as some are fitted in the pipe).

pressure fault light now gone but still got DHw problem but when tap is turned off the led's that come on are 40, 50, 60 and 80 but these are not on the fault code list?

Any ideas?

I removed the heat exchanger which was full of limescale on the DHW side and got some powerflushing fluid from local merchants along with replacement o rings.

It was a pink fluid which is highly corrosive £12 for 5 litres.

As soon as i poured it in it started bubbling i left it in a few minutes then poured it out. All the rusty water and lots of bits came out. I rinsed with clean water and repeated this until there were no more bubbles (took about 30 minutes in total).

Now everything seems ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back