New heating system - back boiler of a solid fuel cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Query about connecting up radiators to the back boiler of a solid fuel cooker. There will be 6 radiators all doubles. The hot tank is located in the hot press beside the solid fuel cooker. Whats the best way of controlling an inline pump. Was thinking about using a room thermostat located upstairs to control the switching of the pump on and off. An ideas???

Sponsored Links
Do you have building regulations in Ireland which you have to meet when installing heating systems?

Solid fuel cookers are quite interesting as they need adequate heat leak, and the right load.

Thanks for your reply. I don't believe there is any mandatory regulations with regards running radiators off a solid fuel back boiler. Other systems yes.

Installed a solid fuel heating /domestic hot water system in my sisters short ago, 4 rads upstairs, 3 rads downstairs and a new dhw cylinder upstairs.

6 of the rads were fed of a pumped circuit all controlled by trv’s the remaining rad was gravity fed from the primary heating coil circuit, this rad had to be at least 1Kw & have no trv fitted. It acted as a heat leak should all the trv’s happen to close on the other rads.

Pump control was by a tank thermostat on the dhw cylinder ,her main concern was getting a tank full of hot before the rads came on. Touch wood it seems to work a treat. I have it switching through a 10 amp relay.

The system is a conventional gravity/vented system.

Do you know the output of your back boiler this may limit you to the number of rads?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i don't know the size of the Back boiler, My father got it made up especially for the cooker some years back. Running a similiar setup two rads downstairs and four rads upstairs. The indirect cylinder is located beside the cooker about six feet away. Trv's are thermostatic valves i assume. Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back