Electric cooker....but no power switch in kitchen!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i get my brand spanking new electric cooker and I don't find a plug on it(my old electric cooker just plugged into a mains socket) and after making a fool of myself talking to customer service I find out i need a cable and a cooker power switch in my kitchen. I haven't got one.

Iceland(who i got the cooker from) arranged for an electrician to come out to it next tuesday and he's meant to be ringing me with an estimate.

Can someone explain to me what he'll do(can he just adapt the cooker to mains or will a power switch and cable have to be installed) and how much would people think was a reasonable amount to spend on the work done.

I know..I know...Niave newbie....but any advice and enlightenment would be VERY appreiciated!

thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Firstly..Plonker..hehehe :D

Seriously though, he cannot adapt your cooker to operate from a socket, unless he can rewrite the laws of physics anyway!, so unfortunately he will need to install, from scratch, a complete new circuit for the cooker.

This will involve, as a minimum, the installation of a new 45A RCBO/MCB to the consumer unit, running a mimimum of 6mm2 T&E to a 45A Double Pole Isolator in the Kitchen, followed by a link to a 45A connection unit at low level behind the cooker.

Now, depending on your installation this could get very expensive. Your existing supply and or consumer unit may not support the installation of this circuit. If either is a problem it is most likely to be the Consumer Unit, but that would mean it would need to be replaced, which will be several hundred pounds alone.

It is difficult to accurately comment without seeing the installation, how far from the consumer unit to the position of the 45A DP in the kitchen? What sort of wall and floors do you have, do you want it surface or flush? All this will affect the price.

Is this cooker just a double oven, or does it incorporate a hob?

If there is no hob, to be honest you would likely be better off taking the New Cooker back and exchanging it for one that will run from a plug.

It is likely to cost you several hundred regardless, you need to ask yourself if you really want to pay that and have all the hassle of having it installed?

Yes i know..plonker*LOL* . And as to your questions..well i have no idea because I am THAT thick*L* But i guess the reason there isn't an electric connection already that it is because it would be a massive expense to have one fitted. Right i'll have to contact iceland and see what I can do.

thanks for the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back