Electric cooker wiring.

Taken pplug socket off and it looks like 6mm to me and in consumer box it is fused at 32amp is this correct?.

Attachments

• 20220320_145800.jpg
    20220320_145800.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Taken pplug socket off and it looks like 6mm to me and in consumer box it is fused at 32amp is this correct?.
I think that cable is most likely 10mm² (which is fine, it's not a problem to have a cable larger than it needs to be as long as it's not so large that it can't be reasonably terminated).

In typical modern UK T&E conductors up to 2.5mm² are solid while larger conductors (4mm² and up) are stranded. In typical modern 4mm² and larger T&E the earth conductor is two sizes smaller than the current carrying conductors.

Therefore

1mm² and 1.5mm² and 2.5mm² T&E has all conductors solid.
4mm² and 6mm² T&E has stranded current carrying conductors but a solid earth conductor
10mm² and 16mm² T&E has all conductors stranded.

Note that this applies to modern T&E. Your cable has harmonized colors and therefore must be modern.

What concerns me about your photo is I see no evidence of a backbox, on the other hand I see no evidence of any screwholes either. Was there a backbox that you removed for the photo? or was the socket somehow installed with no backbox at all?

Looks like 6mm² t&e to me. The cpc isn't stranded.
Good point about the lack of mounting box ,was it removed Steven ??

Sponsored Links
We can't see much of the earth conductor but it certainly looks stranded to my eyes.

Sorry to confuse you all. Yes I am guilty of removing the metal back box. . Great answers throughout thread though and Ihave learnt lots. Thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back