Electric cooker wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am moving into a flat. it has had both gas and electric cooker in before. I am looking at installing an electric cooker but have the following issue. On the wall is the proper cooker ring main switch with light on and in the consumer unit it has a fuse callled cooker. my issue is that there seems no where to conect cooker cable to because the only thing behind where the cooker will go is an unswitched plug socket and I thought it needed to be a connecting block for thicker cable from the cooker?, the new cooker does not come with a cable (I know I have to buy this) so when I connect the cable to the connection block in the back of the cooker where does the other end go?.

Thanks in advance. Steve

Sponsored Links
my issue is that there seems no where to conect cooker cable to because the only thing behind where the cooker will go is an unswitched plug socket and I thought it needed to be a connecting block for thicker cable from the cooker?,
Possibly someone has swapped the cooker connector for a socket because that was all they needed.

Yes it is controlled by cooker switch. Is it easy to change back to whatever should be there? and Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is easy.

Get one of these:
https://www.toolstation.com/crabtree-45a-cooker-outlet-plate/p22152

Not clear (can't find better picture) but the metal part fits to the back box first then the plastic cover goes on.

upload_2022-3-19_19-31-44.png

Check the size of the cable from the isolator to the socket behind cooker. Good chance it's the same size cable as the one from fuseboard to isolator.
If it is ,you can remove the socket and fit a cooker connection unit . Into which you connect your new cooker .

Thanks so much. I do understand this now. If the cable connecting to the plug socket from the cooker switch is not correct I.e to thin then what are my options please?

Ok, cant do the cable replace as it's all newly tiled , I'll look tomorrow to see. What size cable should it be? and what cable do I need to use between this and cooker? Thanks again

What amperage fuse or MCB protects the circuit unit at the fuseboard/consumer unit ? A typical UK cooker circuit would be 6 mm² cable and 32 amp MCB .
Your new cookers manufacturers instructions should specify what cable to use for connecting it up.

Terryplumb..are there any cookers that can use a 13amp plug? Does the OP mean oven or cooker? I think it's the latter according to his first post. I have a Neff oven that is rated at 2.99KW (but with a gas hob).

Terryplumb..are there any cookers that can use a 13amp plug? Does the OP mean oven or cooker? I think it's the latter according to his first post. I have a Neff oven that is rated at 2.99KW (but with a gas hob).
I didn't suggest a cooker that runs off a plug ,only an oven.

What size cable should it be?
Probably 6mm² T&E, as that is what's used on the vast majority of installations.
It's highly unlikely anyone has changed it to something else, and if they have there will be a short piece of conduit (probably diagonal) from the cooker switch to the outlet so that a new cable can be pulled in easily.

what cable do I need to use between this and cooker?
4mm² HO7 flex.
A 2m length will be appropriate for most installations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back