9.5kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install a 9.5Kw shower, i have a new consumer unit which has all other appliences cooker etc protected by an RCD as well as MCB.

I believe i need to use 10mm cable and a 45 amp RCD (30 mA) my question is do i need to have an MCB in series with the RCD i.e before or does the RCD also provide the overcurrent protection same as a MCB?

Also because the consumer unit has RCD's already in it is there a certain type of RCD i can use for the shower and fit it directly into the CU i.e will it fit directly to the din rail?

Any thought appreciated

Sponsored Links
An RCD and an MCB are two different items, an RCD trips when it detects an imbalance (30mA), its contacts may be rated at 45A or whatever but it is not an overcurrent protective device.
An MCB carries out basically the same function as a fuse, it operates when too much current is pulled though it.
There is a combined MCB/RCD unit called an RCBO.
The rating of a cable differs as to how it is installed i.e. near thermal insulation, ambient temperature, grouped with other cables, length etc. Don't forget to check the earthing and bonding is up to spec, also the supply is suitable to take the additional load.
If you live in England or Wales please note that this work will be notifiable to your LABC under part P of the building regs.

------------------

reggie perrin said:
I'm on the 2330 course as well.

Scary isn't it?
Please elaborate, have I just answered a college question :evil:

Sponsored Links
MCB / RCD must be the same thing, they are spelt the same (not)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back