seperate electrical oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wish to install a seperate electric oven but there is no cooker socket available to wire up to.The hob is gas and the spark is wired to a 13amp plug.do i have to run 6mm cable direct to the consumer unit.or is there another way to wire the oven. there is a double sw.skt close at hand but it it has a spur taken of it already
:confused:

Sponsored Links
it depends on the size

most single ovens are less than 3KW and can just be plugged in
anything over 3KW will require a dedicated cuircuit

also if you are running multiple ovens of less than 3KW each you probablly still want a dedicated cuircuit to aviod taking undue current from the ring

THAKS FOR THE HELP.

WOULD I BE ABLE TO SPUR OF TO A FCU THEN WIRE THE OVEN TO THIS WITH 2.5 HEATT RESISTANT FLEX

provided the oven is less than 3KW yes

a fused spur is essentially equivilent to a plug and socket except it can't be unplugged

Sponsored Links
I know that this should all now be clear, but just one quick question. After doing my research on here, I decided on what oven I wanted (NEFF 1451) and checked out the technical spec, total connected load of 2.8 KW, i.e. less than the 3KW for which a dedicated circuit would be required.

As my kitchen is on its own ring on a 32A circuit and no dedicated oven circuit, I called NEFF up to find out if the oven would be supplied with a plug, to which they said it does not because it should not be connected to a ring but have it's own dedicated circuit and then wired to that. With my minimal knowledge I questioned why, as it's only a 2.8 KW own. They then responded " .... 2.8KW is 13A, and will blow the circuit." I had no idea what they were on about so just accepted it.

Can anyone voice any opionions on this, or do I really have to lay my own 6mm cables and get a sparky in to connect it up the CU.

Thanks.

Multi said:
I know that this should all now be clear, but just one quick question. After doing my research on here, I decided on what oven I wanted (NEFF 1451) and checked out the technical spec, total connected load of 2.8 KW, i.e. less than the 3KW for which a dedicated circuit would be required.

As my kitchen is on its own ring on a 32A circuit and no dedicated oven circuit, I called NEFF up to find out if the oven would be supplied with a plug, to which they said it does not because it should not be connected to a ring but have it's own dedicated circuit and then wired to that. With my minimal knowledge I questioned why, as it's only a 2.8 KW own. They then responded " .... 2.8KW is 13A, and will blow the circuit." I had no idea what they were on about so just accepted it.

Can anyone voice any opionions on this, or do I really have to lay my own 6mm cables and get a sparky in to connect it up the CU.

Thanks.
sounds like you were talking to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, don't worry if it is 2.8KW you can put a 13A plug on it

Hi,

Multi .... We have Neff 1031 SP oven since '95, plug in ... 2.8Kw max. Plug gets barely warm in use ... No problems, except the little plastic knobs on the timer eventually fell apart .. Otherwise excellent piece of kit, also Neff four burner gas hob, igniter connected by plug ... One single problem, long nails and the rubber boot over the igniter button, do not mix !! Replaced ours (the rubber one) with a plastic end cap from 'Steredent' denture cleaning tablet tube. .. glued with Evo-Stik over the hole, is waterproof and remains clear of the igniter button in relaxed state .. actually works and looks as good as the original.

P

So, I take it that I should be OK by just connecting a 13A plug to the oven then?

Thanks again for your comments!

Still intrigued as to why they would say that it has to be hard wired!

Guess I'll have to wait until the manual comes.

Cheers again.

if you have a lot of other high current stuff on the ring you could easilly overload it

its probablly not a major issue in a domestic situation though

Some posters have suggested that installing in contravention of the mfrs instructions could invalidate the wty.

The neff booklet (manual ????), was not very explicit ... in '95 anyway.

Re: Manf warranty ..... Installation instructions.
How many timed extractor fans have the Manf requisite 3 amp fusing ?
That old chestnut ...
P.

In an ideal world the cooker would be better off supplied by it's own Radial circuit as depending on what is connected to the rest of the kitchen ring, it is possible to overload the MCB with only a few appliances turned on, although this is not a common occurance dur to the way poeple tend to use their appliances.

However we do not live in an ideal world, and installing a 2.8kW load onto a ring via a fused spur is unlikely to do any damage so long as all the electrical work is done by a competent person.

If you can wire your oven directly into a socket onto the ring main, why can't you take a 2.5mm spur off the cooker control unit with a fused 13A socket spur. I've seen the bit about cables burning out but what's the difference? Why do you need 6.0mm cable to oven?

Before I ordered - they said it needed it's own circuit on 30A fuse (32MCB).

Then it arrived, without any instructions and with a flex hanging out the back.

It was clearly marked inside the oven as 2.8kW - so my belief was that a standard plug would be OK.

As I was doing the rest of the installation in the kitchen and could do either I called them, and after getting a whole load of bullsh*t I finally got through to their electricians and they said....

"If we said it was OK to simply plug them into the kitchen ring, then as soon as someone was boiling a kettle it would overload....assuming that they also were likely running a dishwasher, fridge, washing machine et al that's in the kitchen and fewer people than you think have a dedicated kitchen ring, it's normally on the downstairs ring main....so we always recommend a dedicated circuit. That way, our lawyers leave us alone in terms of our liability......should it cause problems elsewhere....."

So, that was the Beaumatic version. As long as you don't have too much running in the kitchen you should as people here say, be fine. I put mine on it's own radial just because I could, but it's another wire you have to bury in a wall. However, at least then you can replace the oven at some point and won't have to tear it apart again.....

With my corporate hat on - that's what I would recommend too if I were their lawyers. However, practicality dictates that's not necessarily needed.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back