fused spur radial vs jb ring extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
humbly calling all those in the know...

I'm refitting my (small) kitchen and need 3-4 additional sockets. From what I've garnered on this forum and elsewhere, I've narrowed my probable best options down to 2: a fused radial sub-circuit from an unused socket in an adjacent room, or extending ring from same via 2 jb's.

Two highest consumers for for new sockets likely to be microwave, kettle and coffee maker: everything else taken care of by existing ring sockets. My questions are:

1. In terms of safety, is one or the other of above options preferable (or indeed necessary)?

2. Would the existence of such a radial have any bearing on the number of spurs I might subsequently run off the ring main?

and, slightly off-track, but while-I'm-here kind of thing:

I'm a bit unclear re the spur regs for single/double sockets. If a single on the ring can be converted to double, can that double then feed a double as a spur, or just a single, or neither?

Much obliged for having stayed with me this far...

Sponsored Links
Single and double sockets are ignored. You can spur a double socket of a single, or a single off a single, or a double of a doyble, or a single off a double. The wiring regs treat them as one and the same, because you are only allowed to draw thirteen amps from a double socket anyway. Triple sockets are exactly the same again, and at least they have 13 amp fuses fitted.

a fused radial sub-circuit from an unused socket in an adjacent room, or extending ring from same via 2 jb's.

Can you clarify what you mean 'same'? Same ring or same socket. Just check you don't extend one ring into another :!:

A fused radial? Probably not a good idea. A fused radial spur at thirteen amps for 3-4 sockets in a kitchen won't be enough. If you use said three appliances at a time (you also forgot deep fat frier, they tend to use more than a coffee maker), you'd blow the fuse.
By 4 sockets would that constitute double sockets? If so, you could find two sockets which don't have a spur run off them (shouldn't be too hard in most kitchens), and simply run a spur off each of them to a new double socket.

thanks for setting me right on the spur thing Zen.

by 'same' I meant, yes, same socket

alas my kitchen was wired woefully inadequately so the spur option you suggested is sadly out (believe me, that was my first port of call...)

looks like a vote for the extension, although I seem to remember reading a post here about a spur radial using a higher fuse rating...or was that with heavier-duty cable maybe (my rookie slip's showing here...)

whatever, safety and long-term transparency of set-up are my priorities here

Sponsored Links
I don't know about the fused radial with heavier duty cable thing, but I would suggest extending the ring main. You could use junction boxes to extend the ring main. You could also replace the wire between two sockets, and add the new sockets onto the ringmain in this fashion, or would there be enough wire to do the following, just cut the existing wire and add the sockets in normal ring fashion.

Suppose there is another option and that would be to create a new radial or ring circuit just for these 3 or 4 new sockets, and run it from the consumer unit. Probably wouldn't be ideal concerning existing decoration within the house though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back