Blocked drain - no access!! -- Now Unblocked!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Basically i've got a blocked drain and no access to it to give it a good rodding. I can put 2 buckets of water down the trapped gulley and get nothing back up. A 3rd causes the water level in the trap to rise and flood - the system backs up on itself. If I leave the drain 20 mins the water does clear away, but 2 buckets of water every 20 mins is not ideal when emptying the bath. chemicals/ boiling water haven't worked. Heres the details:

House is 1890 end terrace, main drain runs down the back alley parallel to the houses. My drainage is all at the back of the house. Soil pipe from 1st floor runs vertically down back of house and 8" underground. here there is an elbow joint, followed by a T, where a trapped gulley providing the kitchen waste water joins the fun. The drain then runs at a right angle to the house, under my garden path to the back alley. I can't actually see where the pipe runs under the back alley, but it meets the main drain at its begining, i can see a nice collection of waste where my pipe exits when lifting the manhole cover in the alley. I've done a little diagram in paint - not sure how to attach?

The odd thing with the main drain is that the waste meets it at drain floor level, theres quite a collection of stuff where the pipe exits into the drain.

From what i've read, i should have some access to the drain on my property, an access point, manhole cover, or something. problem is i havent, i've dug up the pipe at several points and no cover. i've only lived in the house 6 months, so spoke to the previous owner, she laid the path that sits ontop of the drain and has never come across a cover. My neighbours cover is plain to see, just by his back gate, but i dont appear to have one by mine!

My question is, how do I access the pipe to clear the blockage? I'm starting to think making my own access to the pipe and then patching it back up may be a possibility. Getting an expert would be nice, but I cant afford the £55 per half hour + vat + £25 per half hour if i need a jet washer.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
SPOODZ said:
I've done a little diagram in paint - not sure how to attach?
See this.

My question is, how do I access the pipe to clear the blockage?
Drain rods?

I'm starting to think making my own access to the pipe and then patching it back up may be a possibility.
There's no reason why you shouldn't do this.

Hey, it worked. magic.

On your 3rd point, would it be ok then to drill a 20mm hole in the top of a drain pipe and use it to stick drain rods down to stab at the problem? I'd have to just use the rod with no attachments, otherwise risk a larger hole.

Sponsored Links
SPOODZ said:
I dont think drain rods will go through a U trap and round a right angle.
You're right, but you have other choices, viz:

ma_real.jpg

or:

Sanisnake.jpg

Since you can access the connection in the alley then why dont you rod back towards your house from there?

Drains were very well constructed in Victorian times and rarely blocked then but they had a healthy fat free diet and did not put fats and other things down the drains.

There could also have been subsidence too.

Since it only takes three buckets to fill it up then the blockage will be very close to the gulley.

S.G. pipe is very hard and even a diamond cutting disc struggles. If you really dont want to rod it from the alley you could expose it 4-5 feet from the gulley and see if you can cut a sloping sided access about 100 mm x 80 mm and that bit will be very easy to fit back.

Tony

Softus,

I have been looking into full arm gloves....

whats the other device you picture?

Agile,

I would rod back towads the house from the alley sewer, but the pipe must take a turn somewhere to end up in the direction it meets the sewer at compared to its path from the house (see diagram).

I agree the blockage cant be far down the pipe. Not sure what S.G pipe is, my drain pipe underground is plastic (am I being stupid and they're the same thing?).

I agree the blockage cant be far down the pipe. Not sure what S.G pipe is, my drain pipe underground is plastic (am I being stupid and they're the same thing?).

your not he is :LOL:

trying to be a smart ass as usual
what he knows about drainage could be written on a stamp and leave room :LOL:

kevplumb said:
your not he is :LOL:

trying to be a smart ass as usual
what he knows about drainage could be written on a stamp and leave room :LOL:
Putting aside what I personally think of Agile, it's a little bit difficult to understand the difference between this comment of yours and my comments topic that was locked last week. Except that mine weren't directly and overtly insulting. :rolleyes:

Er, not sure of the history between you guys, but am i ok cutting holes in pipes or not really? I'm concerned about repairing said hole. I noticed this on screwfix:

could I cut a section of pipe, unblock the drain, then put this over it?

kevplumb said:
put a couple of slips in and a rodding eye :idea:
A very good idea.

softus behave you have been cut some slack
I don't call having topics deleted that contained nothing but polite, civil and reasonable questions being cut slack, and having a topic locked prematurely (according to Admin) and that contained no abuse being cut slack.

If you disagree, please Email Admin. :idea:

MOD 2

how about i don't give a damn about what YOU FEEL

SPOODZ said:
I would rod back towads the house from the alley sewer, but the pipe must take a turn somewhere to end up in the direction it meets the sewer at compared to its path from the house (see diagram).

As you had featured the date of your property then I assumed you had the original Salt Glazed clay pipe!

As its in plastic that totally changes the situation!

If it had been in S. G. then there would have been a slow bend. In plastic its anybodys guess. But why not just try rodding it and see what happens.

However as its plastic you can easily cut a hole. Furthermore there are some retrofit inspection covers available !!!

Tony

SPOODZ said:
whats the other device you picture?
Commonly known as a "Sanisnake".

Not often effective with soil and drains, because of the large bore, but if you have something like a paper towel just beyond the gulley then it could drag out enough bits to be useful.

I had virtually the same problem as yourself, a 90 degree bend which was impossible to rod either way....

But cured it by making a thick wooden disc, edged with rubber, which was a tight fit in the drain. To the top of this I screwed a piece of 3" x 3" about 12" long. I then filled the drain with water, to about 3 " from the top, put the disc in position, and belted it a few times with a sledgehammer.The percussion effect worked a treat.

Be careful of fine jets of water coming back towards you.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back