Sewage nightmare outdoor drain by kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi would really appreciate some help. not sure if this is the right category

I have 1930s house mid terrace . The main pipe pipe runs out from the back to the back patio where it connects with the communal waste pipe (share between 3 houses).
(See diagram)
Its blocked and the sewage is overflowing .
One of my main problems is that there are no drain covers or manhole covers. The only access is 6inch square drain cover which is where the sewage is overflowing from

there is no inflow to this (apart from the rainwater gutter), just an outflow with a u-bend which appears to go off to main communal pipe. I hope the diagrams and photos explain. i have tried unblocking from here manually with auger and drain gloves but no luck. I cant insert drain rods as they wont go round the u-bend
Apart from that, there is no access.
If i knew exactly where the house drainage T-junctions onto the communal pipe, I would consider breaking through tthe concrete there and installing manhole (as I think this needs be sorted anyway)

Any help would be greatly appreciate, getting a bit desperate!!

Attachments

• drain diagram.PNG
    drain diagram.PNG
    22.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2 slight zoom out.jpeg
    2 slight zoom out.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 3 overview.jpeg
    3 overview.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 1 drain photo diagram.png
    1 drain photo diagram.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
WhenI get to jobs like these, I always drill a hole in the stack pipe approx 1.2 metres from the ground and then jet via the hole. This will clear the blockage and afterwards I would put a rubber furnco coupling over the hole.

Andy

WhenI get to jobs like these, I always drill a hole in the stack pipe approx 1.2 metres from the ground and then jet via the hole. This will clear the blockage and afterwards I would put a rubber furnco coupling over the hole.

Andy
Would you not use the rodding access point if there was one, like in the OP’s photo?

Sponsored Links
Would you not use the rodding access point if there was one, like in the OP’s photo?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I didn't zoom in.

Yes, use the access point, there will be a sewage spill but cleaning up is not a problem.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies
Sorry to be dense - so for access point do you mean the blanking cap that is on the left of the main black down sewage pipe ? (added diagram)

I dont have a jet (have a pressure washer though?) . Will drain rods go round those corners? Or I have the curly plumbers auger that spools out

Thanks for the Keep Calm icon!

EDIT: I just unscrewed that blanking cap, but there is no hole there, its just the side of the down pipe

Attachments

• access point-small.png
    access point-small.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 49
Yes correct with the access cap. Can you post a photo? It might be a piece that pulls out.

here is the cap unscrewed - It looks like just the side of the pipe
WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 16.30.18.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 16.30.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-25 at 16.30.28.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 41
OK feel I bit better . Have order Jet converter kit for Karcher K4 , if that doesnt work , it looks like theres no other way than to either hire the high powered professional kit, or hire the man who has one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back