New Consumer Unit - what's best - RCBO, Split Load etc ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been doing a bit of research (I just like to have a basic understanding, so I can ask for I want) before I hit the yellow pages and get a professional in (unfortunately no-one I know could recommend anyone).

Now I do know I need a new consumer unit to replace the old 'fusewire' arrangement I have at the moment. I also appreciate that other things need to be done as well, but I've addressed these elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure the house has 6 rings at present,

u/s lights (inc bathroom)
u/s sockets
d/s lights
d/s sockets
kitchen sockets
Cooker/Hob

I'd also like to have provision for outside power at some point in the future and a socket and light put in the cupboard under the stairs where the meter and current fuseboxes are.

Priorities are (in order)

1) Safety
2) Reliability
3) 'Future proof' for possible/probable new regs etc

Cost, within reason, is not a top priority. I'm happy to spend extra for the best if there's a benefit even if that means going a bit OTT.

Any suggestions or comments gratefully received.

btw thanks to the regulars who post and educate, I've learned a lot, mainly that I know nothing !

Sponsored Links
Its just what I use really: MK are probably the best and are considered a market leader in terms of quality
Wylex likewise and do a large range
Hager are deinetly more of a budget job but still pretty good (you even get a little spirit level on the base to line em up straight) ;)

the TLC link I sent offer a good range.

Sponsored Links
Is there any difference between split load with RCDs for a 'group' or single RCBOs or am I (as usual) talking twaddle) ?

Cost and convenience mainly.

RCBOs are more convenient 'cos when one trips it only takes out the one circuit. But they cost upwards of £37+ each.

A split load is just that. Split

What you get is a CU with main double pole isolator you also get an RCD that can be moved up and down the length of the DIN rail

In general terms the circuits (MCBs) that you have on the RCD side of the board (usually to the left of the RCD) will be RCD protected the Circuits that you put on the (right hand side) of the RCD will not be RCD protected in other words you have 2 busbars

RCBOs are an MCB and RCD combined in one unit so that circuit ONLY is RCD protected.

If you only want one circuit RCD protected then dont buy a split load CU if you require more circuits to be RCD protected (which you should) then go for a cplit load CU

Thanks guys, it is very much appreciated

That's what I thought about RCBO.... I'll get the calculator out and see what the cost diff is I want everything as protected as possible.

Must admit I like the sound of RCBOs though to be honest I'm not sure why....

Is there anything that shouldn't go on an RCD or RCBO ?

The highest power draw I have is the oven, no power shower or water heater.

I reckon MEM are the best. MK are not what they used to be.
MEM make a lot of industrial kit, which has to be super-reliable as a failure can cost thousands of pounds in lost production. They are not very cheap, though.

If you can afford RCBOs, not only do you have the advantage that a fault on one circuit does not take out several others, but also you are less prone to nuisance tripping (a single RCD, protecting three circuits, each with a background leakage of varying between 5mA-10 mA from e.g. washing machine, kettle, shower, microwave, will trip from time to time when the combined leakage reaches 30mA. A single circuit will not trip its own RCBO until it reaches 30mA on its own.

A neutral/earth fault will often take several days to find and fix... which is a lot if all the sockets in the house, and the electric shower, are out of action, as happens with a split-load.

Get a good big CU with plenty of space for future expansion. The cost of a bigger plastic box and some fresh air is not much.

Edited:
It is usual not to put the cooker or the immersion heater on RCDs as they often have slight leakages. This is not such a problem if you have RCBOs for the reason above. If you have a MEM CU you can protect them with 100mA RCBOs if you feel like it, which are resistant to nuisance tripping, but will go over if there is a significant fault, and give a reasonable degree of protection against fatal electric shock. Most people would not consider it worth the extra cost, though.

Many Thanks

Guess it comes down how much I can dig out from the back of the sofa.

But at least now I understand the difference and what the options are, cheers guys !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back