Cold water taps turns backwards!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any bathtub i have ever used the both taps have turned counter clockwise to increase the water flow.

In the new house I moved into the cold water tap turns counter clockwise to increse water flow!

What went wrong and how do I fix it?

Sponsored Links
hockref said:
Any bathtub i have ever used the both taps have turned counter clockwise to increase the water flow.

In the new house I moved into the cold water tap turns counter clockwise to increse water flow!

What went wrong and how do I fix it?

What!?!?!?! :?: :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
but he only need change the cold one, since its that one that goes the wrong way, then again, get a macthing pair, perhaps they are australian taps? :LOL:

Strange enough I was in a house yesterday where the bath taps turned the 'wrong' way.

Who pinced a pair of surgical taps and changed the lever arms for heads

In days of old .... ( pre-metrication perhaps or pre-Chinese taps) ALL tap sets were arranged so that the HOT tap (which was always on the left side) turned clockwise to increase the flow and the COLD tap (all together now - READY - 'ALWAYS ON THE RIGHT SIDE') turned anti-clockwise to increase the flow.
Nowadays - perhaps because it's cheaper and there are more mixer taps many pairs of taps turn the same way. Most mixer taps preserve the 'hot on the left' tradition and most replacement tap innards are 'handed ' left and right' ( red and blue).
I was taught that it was arranged the old fashioned way 'so that a blind man would not scald himself'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back