Recent content by boringoldcodger

  1. B

    DIYnot members fading?

    JohnW2 started a thread (in Electrics UK) about EFLImpudence: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/a-missing-friend.657950/ there was nothing definite but the likelihood is that he's died.
  2. B

    Interesting reason for not using an extension lead with Plug-in Solar

    There may well be good reasons for not using an extension lead with plugin solar, but is this one of them? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/plug-in-solar/#:~:text=Standard%20household%20extension%20cables%20are,with%20a%20long%20enough%20cable. At (admittedly, currently) limited to...
  3. B

    Door magnetic closure

    A possibility (doubtless other suppliers are available) is: https://www.toolstation.com/white-magnetic-catch-10-pack/p54269 for a full height door you'd probably be best using 2, leaving you with 8 to litter up your toolbox. You'd need to supply a handle / knob, obviously none of us know what...
  4. B

    Crabtree to MK light switch swap

    I probably should've pointed out that, on the Crabtree, L1 L2 and L3 form a switch with L2 and L3 close together and vertically above / below their L1. There's a slightly-off-vertical raised bar which tries to indicate that one switch is to the left of it and the other to the right.
  5. B

    Crabtree to MK light switch swap

    I'm assuming you mean when looked at when screwed to the wall, so in your pictures as we look at the back it's the other way round. a goes to COM, e goes to 1(1way) the short red wire goes from COM to COM, so b goes to COM. c and d go to 1(1way) and 2, it doesn't really matter which way round...
  6. B

    External Sockets

    I believe your electrician, when (s)he issues the Electrical Installation Certificate, will have to sign that (s)he's designed the circuit(s) so you should get his/her agreement to what you're doing beforehand.
  7. B

    RCD adaptor won't reset...

    *** PEDANT ALERT *** PEDANT ALERT *** worse than not using one at all ?
  8. B

    2 gang 2 way switch trouble

    I'm a DIYer, not a sparky. Which 2 wires? the Red which is now in L2* and which other? I'd be tempted to swap round the 2 Reds which are in the Floor 2 Light switch. Do the new switches have metal faceplates? If so, you must make sure they're earthed (preferably direct from an incoming cable...
  9. B

    Replacing old double switch trouble

    Left hand L and L1 match to COM1 and L11. Right hand L and L1 match to COM2 and L21. If you feel a switch is operating "upside down" then either use COM1 and L12 OR COM2 and L22. Mike was quicker than me (and says it better).
  10. B

    Ground Work for New Garden Shed or Not?

    And what does "we would out down" mean? I'd assume that's a typo and should say "put down".
  11. B

    Adding loft lighting

    No, its a good idea. I daresay some of the sparkies will give you some hints. I'd suggest you could use a normal light switch, rather than an SFCU, as you'd be on a lighting circuit which, probably, has a 6Amp circuit breaker in your CU.
  12. B

    Adding loft lighting

    I'm not an electrician. Yes. I'd expect the lights to have an earth terminal even if it's just to park the earth wire.
  13. B

    fused spur to 2 switches to run flood light and pond pump

    I'm not an electrician so don't take this as gospel. Why do you want 20A switches? Is it you want double pole switching, if so use an SFCU as the "fused spur" and you'll then be able to use 10A switches. Although the SFCU will isolate both loads (rather than just one). What do you mean by "20...
  14. B

    1930’s fireplace advice.

    *** PEDANT ALERT *** PEDANT ALERT *** I assume you meant "above it".
  15. B

    Replacing a 'thingy' with proper wall plug sockets?

    Another possibility is a pattress box such as (link): https://www.toolstation.com/wessex-pattress-box/pAB255 and then use whatever double socket you like. However you need to be very careful about the current cables. Which is the supply and which is the load? The white cable is wrong, you...
Back
Top