Recent content by Daisy1996

  1. D

    Chimney in loft

    It was noted there was a couple of hairline cracks along the mortar of the wall apparently common and nothing to worry about
  2. D

    Chimney in loft

    This is a slightly closer photo of the bottom where it looks like some bricks are missing, I hadn’t even noticed it until today. A new liner was put in 30-40 years ago but I’m pretty sure since then nothings been touched there
  3. D

    Chimney in loft

    I quite like the character it gives the rooms plus it might not be our forever home and the next person might like it too. The chimney had new flashing and flaunting last winter after we noticed it was cracked and leaking. A structural engineer did check that wall a few months ago as I was...
  4. D

    Chimney in loft

    Hi thanks for replying. There’s been no chimney breasts removed. What’s in the loft is original. It comes down the corner of the room upstairs then across to the middle of the living room. It’s a gable end wall so nothing the other side. When you say damp on the plaster so you mean where the...
  5. D

    Chimney in loft

    Thank you for your replies. When I saw this in the loft I stupidly googled to see if it was normal and went down a rabbit hole thinking I needed steel beams to hold it up otherwise it could fall off into the room below
  6. D

    Chimney in loft

    I’m sorry to be bothering you again. I’m a bit anxious about the chimney and flue in my loft. attached to a cavity gable end wall it comes down the wall at an angle that doesn’t look supported then the first floor goes down the bedroom wall at the opposite angle (thin to a thicker base) before...
  7. D

    Internal wall cracks

    Today I’ve removed a couple of inches of the plaster over the crack. It looks like there’s a gap about 2-3mm wide horizontally between in brick and the mortar is this normal for an older house?
  8. D

    Internal wall cracks

    Thanks for replying. You’ve said plaster cracking because of age is normal is good to hear. As someone who has absolutely no idea about anything to do with this my mind automatically thinks there must be a serious reason for this to happen
  9. D

    Internal wall cracks

    Thank you. Waiting to hear back about some quotes to have the whole wall replastered as it’s hollow in quite a few places. We will take a few chunks out to check the wall underneath once we have confirmed when the plasterer is able to start. Hopefully the brick is ok.
  10. D

    Internal wall cracks

    HI, this maybe a really daft question but when do cracks in walls become structural? ive got what’s looks like a 1mm slightly diagonal 1.5 meter long crack in my internal plaster. it’s covered by wallpaper at the moment. It easily shows during the day in the warmer weather by creasing the...
  11. D

    Asbestos in plaster

    Sample came back no asbestos found. Thanks for your help.
  12. D

    Asbestos in plaster

    The stress it is causing is insane. Even IF it is asbestos it’s on the wall which other than a few cracks UNDER wallpaper and places where is starting to de bond it’s still attached so causing NO issues at all. I dunno why I’m getting so worked up over it. It’s been there almost 66 years and...
  13. D

    Asbestos in plaster

    The original plaster on the wall is coming away so needs removing and re plastering. It concerned me there was 3 layers to this sample whereas the last one that was negative didn’t have the thin grey cement looking layer
  14. D

    Asbestos in plaster

    Thanks for the replies. I’ve sent this sample off to be tested. It looked like there was 3 layers yellow, grey and pink. The sample I had tested last year didn’t have the grey layer so I’m now a little worried. This was taken from a corner next to a chimney if that makes any difference? There...
  15. D

    Asbestos in plaster

    Thank you for replying. I’m getting very mixed messages reading online. The plasterer I’ve spoken to doesn’t seem too bothered infact he said don’t bother testing
Back
Top