Recent content by halton1957

  1. H

    Ring main tripping

    We have to go away tomorrow till Friday. I’ll trip the circuits on that side as a precaution while we are away. Problem when at home is that internet and phone will not function without that circuit. Luckily fridge and freezer are on the other side.
  2. H

    Ring main tripping

    The problem MCB is the one marked sockets on the left of the CU in picture. Tried the RCD trip on left, it operated well. It would not reset till I Tripped all the MCBs on that side. The chimes and alarm MCBs are permanently off. HELP I’ve only got a multimeter
  3. H

    Ring main tripping

    It’s an MCB, Many thanks for helping
  4. H

    Ring main tripping

    10 year old house, 2 ring mains - left and right of building. Right ring tripped a few weeks ago. Reset and tripped a few random times over a couple of days. Then ok for 5 days till next trip, reset again for 7 days. I have done the unplug everything and plug in one at a time but no result. The...
  5. H

    Please identify this unit

    This unit is installed on the window sill of a recently purchased 1930’s house. Suspect it’s an old GPO unit, but wiring disappears under the floor so unable to trace physically, FTTP is installed so would like to identify before removing it. TIA
  6. H

    One Bad Rad

    Managed at last to rig up a connection to our pipework TRV flow pipe using an old washing machine pipe (we have very old TRVs with steel pipe type connections) Bucket test gave a dribble about 2mm diameter. Connected up to the garden hose (with the system drained) and gave it a blast or three...
  7. H

    One Bad Rad

    Testing the flow using suction had limited success but did prove that flow and return pipes have flow, but not how much. I haven't done the bucket test yet as setting up something to ensure the water goes into the bucket is proving difficult While things were disconnected I noticed the TRV...
  8. H

    One Bad Rad

    Alan, many thanks for taking the trouble to write such a detailed reply. It sounds like a system that could work for me. All I can see of our pipework is 6" of 8mm feed and return emerging from under the floorboards which are fully carpeted. You can imagine that I'm reluctant to tear everything...
  9. H

    One Bad Rad

    Thanks for that thought, I haven't actually tried that as I drained down to change the rad and TRV. The lockshield does operate freely over it's full range. I'll check it out when I do the bucket test.
  10. H

    One Bad Rad

    Thanks a lot!
  11. H

    One Bad Rad

    I know this is going to seem pretty stupid but I can't find the FAQs. I've found reference to bucket test being No 52. Perhaps I'm unusually thick this morning.
  12. H

    One Bad Rad

    Thanks I tried it but no luck. Boiler went through it's start, run, shut down on thermostat cycle. Let it do that 5 times but rad still lukewarm although pipe and TRV v hot. Lockshield end cold. One other rad heated up, I guess TRV passing. Closed lockshield on that one to give max pressure at...
  13. H

    One Bad Rad

    Thanks, I'll try that, presumably the boiler will overheat if there's a blockage?
  14. H

    One Bad Rad

    Thanks for the prompt reply, unfortunately the microbore is under the carpet and floorboards fed from 22mm (I think) behind the plasterboard. Hopefully the TRV being v hot would indicate a problem in the return? Possibly a kink in the microbore.
  15. H

    One Bad Rad

    One of the rads on our microbore open vented and pumped system has never really heated up properly. It is slow to heat and the bottom stays just warm. My first thought was sludge so took the rad off and flushed, then balanced the system as well as possible - no improvement. Next I changed the...
Back
Top