One Bad Rad

Testing the flow using suction had limited success but did prove that flow and return pipes have flow, but not how much. I haven't done the bucket test yet as setting up something to ensure the water goes into the bucket is proving difficult
While things were disconnected I noticed the TRV contained flakes of rust/magnetite. I cleared that and reinstated the system. Initially the bad rad seemed to heat up well but soon stopped.
I'm thinking more rust in the TRV but don't have time to drain down and clear it yet. Plus we need the heating.
I wonder how many times it will clog up, time will tell I guess.
Watch this space for future bulletins!

Sponsored Links
Alan,

interesting reply, similar to the issues I am suffering (plus a few more).

tell me would the same bucket test and pressure type fix work with a sealed combi system, if so what differs from the above method?
many thanks.
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/l...rks-when-bedroom-radiator-switched-on.452533/

With my type of system there's an expansion tank in the loft, so when you blast air back up the pipe it has somewhere to escape to. With your sealed system it would have nowhere to go. Perhaps if you disconnected a big pipe somewhere it would allow the air to escape, but I'm not a plumbing expert so I can't really say.

Sponsored Links
Managed at last to rig up a connection to our pipework TRV flow pipe using an old washing machine pipe (we have very old TRVs with steel pipe type connections)
Bucket test gave a dribble about 2mm diameter. Connected up to the garden hose (with the system drained) and gave it a blast or three.
Bucket test flow was then 6mm dia. Happy bunny!
Refilled and bled the system, Bad rad now heating up very well.
I guess the rust etc is still in the system, hopefully hiding in a corner of the 22mm manifold.
Anyone got an opinion whether I should put cleaner in for a few days?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back