Cold Rad, Not Stuck TRV!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

Got a frustrating issue with a cold rad. Its had its TRV turned down over summer and most of winter as it is in the spare room. Went to turn it up today, and its not happy.

It isnt the furthest from the boiler, and all others in the house are nice and toasty.

Its a new combi and new rad, with a new bulldog TRV.

Piping to TRV is hot, and rad tail on TRV side is also hot. Rad itself is luke warm on the TRV side, and cooler as you move to the bottom of the rad, and to the side of the rad where the lockshield is.

Have ensured TRV is not stuck, and opened lockshield fully to try and get more flow, but its still not heating up properley.

Doesnt feel like air as the top of the rad is the hottest part.

Wondering if next step should be to close of all other rads in the system and force the water through the single rad to try and see if I can bring it back into life at all? Any other advice or thoughts most welcome. Seems unusual for it to seem to be blocked at the lockshield end.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How do you know TRV is not stuck?

Shutting off all other rads may help.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have pushed the "nipple" up and down and run some grease into it, so i dont think its stuck. Wonder if its a balancing issue, but it isnt the furthest rad from the boiler and there is plenty of heat at the piping around the foot of the TRV (and the rad tail).

I have pushed the "nipple" up and down
I thought you would do that.

The problem is that the pin which sticks out from the body may not be attached to the stopper which cuts off the flow through the TRV. Remove the TRV head, then give the metal body a few hefty thumps on the side with a hammer. This should loosen the stopper and open up the path so water can flo through the valve.

Never leave a TRV on a low setting over the summer. The valve will close completely as the room temperature (20C or greater) will always be greater than the TRV setting (say 12C). Set to max (25C+).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back