Vertical radiator warm not hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have just installed a vertical rad 6 column 1.8m x 45cm in the kitchen. It is run with 10mm plastic microbore which all the rads in the house are. The issue is it does get warm but not as hot as the other horizontal rads. Temp does seem consistant across the whole rad when it is warm. The lockshield is currently only 3/4 turn open and the trv is on max. I have tried to balance the whole system to see if this makes a diff but havnt noticed any improvment. Am i overlooking something as to why its not gettin hot hot.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• 20161015_084614.jpg
    20161015_084614.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Not a plumber but speaking from home owner experience of having new rads fitted.

Close all your other rads off both on the TRV and lockshield and fully open the above mentioned rad and see what happens. If it gets red hot you still have a balancing issue if not you could have an air lock somewhere along the new run but if you continue to run the heating with just the above mentioned radiator on and others off it may force the airlock out.

If it does get hot start your balancing from there ensuring the above mentioned radiator stays hot turn each radiator TRV to say 3 and a quater turn on each lockshield. Some may, some may not get hot if not give them another quater turn until you get the balance between all your others getting hot and the above mentioned staying hot.

Where about on your boiler run would help also is it near the start of the flow or end? The ones furthest on the run will normally require more turns on the lockshield as to encourage the flow further.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your reply, if i remember rightly from when the ceiling was all exposed it quite possibly will be the 1st rad in the system, new boiler is in the garage, i will try your suggestion
Thank you

These can be installed "upside down" which places the baffles in the wrong place..... (not that I've done that! hee hee)
Check on the back or the top for a sticker.

Sponsored Links
I have heard of this but stickers were indicating inlet and outlet on the front of the rad, so unless they have put them upside down i wud guess it is the right way up

But are the inlet and outlet correct - many ordinary rads are connected at random, particularly as TRV's are bi directional now. Which pipe warms first ? that'll be the flow. and the flow needs to hit the internal baffle to direct the water

But are the inlet and outlet correct - many ordinary rads are connected at random, particularly as TRV's are bi directional now. Which pipe warms first ? that'll be the flow. and the flow needs to hit the internal baffle to direct the water

+1.
I'd say you have the rad back to front not upside down! A lot of these now give specific instructions as to which side has to be on the flow and return!

Thanks for the input, dont think the rad is back to front as the sticker is still on the back, i think the flow is on the left which is the side of the lockshield,trv on right which is the same as all the other rads in house(lockshield left/trv right) i hope this is right as it was a right pain in the ass to fit

Last edited:
Can you get a photo of the sticker if you can get your phone in there? And does the sticker appear to be the right way up.....

Unless there is an indicator of a baffle fitted then its likely none is fitted.

Yes thas is what i did tk check lol, sticker is the correct way up, instructions doesnt mention any flow/return directions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back