Vertical rad cooler on the bottom half.

Thanks . Well there is nothing there to indicate that the radiator has an internal baffle,or specific ports need to be used.
Fitting a baffle may be worth trying.

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions and rad output? All rads heat up by convecting upwards through the first 75/100MM or so or in your case up through the first column, the water then moves horizontally along the top and flows down wards, losing temperature and giving up heat, I will post a few readings later I took off one of my own rads (conventional).
1780 x 420mm.

Yes thats what i think the rad seems to do but i reckon it says a good 30 minutes for all of it to be heated but yes the first panel is scorching and eventually the top half is nice and warm.

Thanks . Well there is nothing there to indicate that the radiator has an internal baffle,or specific ports need to be used.
Fitting a baffle may be worth trying.
I thought the point in a baffle is that it helps push the water upwards rather than straight across the radiator to the flow pipe?

It already shoots up the first panel and then comes down the rest of the panels one by one, it doesent seem to go straight across to the return side.

1780 x 420mm.

Yes thats what i think the rad seems to do but i reckon it says a good 30 minutes for all of it to be heated but yes the first panel is scorching and eventually the top half is nice and warm.
What is its rated output?

Sponsored Links
These vertical column rads are getting worse and worse, or it may be just that more and more people are buying what ultimately is a really bad design. The way the rad itself is designed does not lend itself to being efficient in either warm up nor output and that is then compounded when fitted to microbore.

It sounds like it's working as designed, if the water is directed up the first column and then flows downwards, they are all typically slow to heat up and that will be compounded with the poor flow from 10mm microbore

I know that doesn't sort your problem but you may just have to live with it.

5000 BTU, old rad was 4700
5000BTU=1.47kw, flow/return temps of 75C/65C would require a flowrate of 2.1LPM, even if the flowrate was only 1.0LPM (shouldnt be a problem for 10mm microbore tails) then you should get around 1.28kw with flow/returns of 75C/57C.
If you have twoX1/2" plugs/vents at both top ends, maybe just flush back from both sides (one valve shut at the time) to check for any obstructions.
Or, even as a temporary measure, run it TBOE if you could run a pipe to the top, but opposite end to the outlet. But as above post says, you may just have to live with it.

Only for interest.
1699700972168.png

Last edited:
5000BTU=1.47kw, flow/return temps of 75C/65C would require a flowrate of 2.1LPM, even if the flowrate was only 1.0LPM (shouldnt be a problem for 10mm microbore tails) then you should get around 1.28kw with flow/returns of 75C/57C.
If you have twoX1/2" plugs/vents at both top ends, maybe just flush back from both sides (one valve shut at the time) to check for any obstructions.
Or, even as a temporary measure, run it TBOE if you could run a pipe to the top, but opposite end to the outlet. But as above post says, you may just have to live with it.

Only for interest.
View attachment 320592
I run my flow temp at 60 as i have a condensing boiler?

You should still get 0.88kw at a flowrate of 1.0LPM but the return should be over 47C, (quite hot), with a flowtemp of 60C.
Is the whole system 10mm or are the main flow/return pipes bigger, if so what roughly is the total length of 10mm flow & return piping to that rad?. 10mm piping has only a ID of 6.6 to 6.8mm but if the combined length from the rad is 5M then the head loss is only 0.27M anf if its 10M then the head loss is 0.55M.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this has nothing to do with flow temps or BTU's/Kw outputs. These tall steel column rads are really badly designed, I've yet to come across any that do the job they're meant to unless they're vastly oversized or there are several where one performed the job perfectly well before. I've removed more than I've fitted due to either not warming up properly/completely nor quickly, no matter what we tried and that's with 15mm feeds. Only ones that I've ever found to heat up consistently are the ali ones. Either that or when they do heat up properly they are really pi$$ poor at heating anything but the smallest of rooms due to the way they deliver their heat into the space. They just aren't designed to efficiently heat larger spaces, all they do do well is look good and only heat up things that are within a few ft as they primarily deliver radiant heat, not convected.

As is the way with these things, they are great when they hit the market and everyone starts to use them as they look good and then when they've been in for an extended period of time, people start to realise that they aren't very good at doing what they are supposed to do, space heating. It's the same as the modern traditional shaped column rads, they have to be incorporated into the space properly to ensure the space is heated correctly, they can't just replace a tradition convection rad who's output is the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back