1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

1 day old new render cracking and gap left

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Sunshine32, 17 Jul 2019.

1. Sunshine32

Sunshine32

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have just had the back of my house rendered this week. I hired a plasterer/renderer to do the job. Upon taking off the old pebble dash, we discovered that the original lintel had cracked above what used to be the old kitchen window frame, which is now Patio doors. It was remodelled around 15years ago, as in where the door used to be is now the window and where the window used to be is now the doors. We had new UPVC patio doors and window put in a month ago.

The plasterer suggested we have the old broken lintel replaced and new bricks put in. He said that he would make it flush with the new patio doors and once rendered it should not have a gap. We agreed and he did the work.

Problem is, the rendering is not flat, it’s pretty lumpy and bumpy even though he rendered the underside of the new flat lintel and there is also a gap left. I watched him do this yesterday and the render wouldn’t stick to the lintel.

I don’t think he put anything on the lintel like PVA etc before rendering it and I’m wondering now, how I should go about sorting this out?

I’ve also discovered this morning that yesterday’s rendering has started to crack already!

I’ve paid him for his work and he has left the job.

I’m concerned that:

a) I’ve got this gap and I don’t know what to do with it

b) the render may need taking off

Any advice would be welcome,

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does not look a proffessional job, render can crack when its applied in hot weather which we have had lately.
    My builder put mesh around all windows under render because windows and doors are prime areas of movement and can need additional measures to stabilize.
    Did you notice any water dribbling out where it cracked, may have over compensated for hot weather and added too much water.

4. jj4091

jj4091

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A piece of plastic trim like window installers use would be the easiest way to cover the gap.

5. Sunshine32

Sunshine32

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks foxhole, no mesh was put around the reveals on either the windows or doors. Beading was put on the corners and then a scratch coat and then a top coat.

The rendered reveals are bulging and bowing where he has not made them flat. I’ve attached pics. I’m actually at the point where I am wondering if all the render should come off around the reveals and i’ll find someone else to re-render them.

No I didn’t see any water dribbling out of the cracks.

Yeah I can understand about the weather issue, it was hot here yesterday when he rendered the area which has the cracks.

I’ve just realised something as I am writing this. In the area that has the cracks is where he put a scratch coat and a top coat on in the same day...

Attached Files:

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Sunshine32

Sunshine32

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank-you.

I feel like I really shouldn’t have to put a piece of plastic there but I guess if that’s the only option, then that’s the only option.

8. Sunshine32

Sunshine32

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh my goodness... my day could not get any worse! I’ve just discovered the back drain is blocked with render!!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah real pro that guy!!! Where did you find him!

10. Sunshine32

Sunshine32

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep I know... I found him on MyBuilder.

I’ve been in touch with other renderers and plasterers today and sent some pics of remedial works that need doing to the reveals around the doors etc.

We have render all over the new doors and windows which are less than two months old, along with scratches in the handles, frames and dents.

They were shocked.

Have attached pics.

Attached Files:

Sponsored Links