1 inch gap on inside around window fram, plaster walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I recently purchased a 70 yr old home with plaster walls, hard wood floors etc. We are planning a major renovation but are taking care of the smaller items like patching cracks in ceilings and repainting rooms that aren't going to under go demolition.

The windows in one room had a piece of wood on the top part of the window frame (that aren't part of the window frame). They were nailed on top of the window frame and now that I've removed them, it's obvious they were put there to cover about a 1 inch gap between the plaster wall and the window frame. I was going to fill in the gaps with a filler but the space (the whole) inside the 1 inch gap is quite deep (2 to 3 inches).

This room will be getting new windows in about 4-5 months and more than likely we will demo the walls where these huge gaps are, but for now, I need to repair and properly seal them.

I don't know if I should by a wood filler or cut out more of the plaster and insert a strip of sheet rock and then tape the whole thing or get a wood filler and just pump it in there until the wholes are filled and then tape and seal the gaps.

Woud appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
as you say your thinking of replacing the windows at a later date,i would just use expanding foam on the gaps then cut back when dry and then fill with a smoothe filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back