How to fill large gaps around window.

The work was completed about an hour ago. The local guy has done a brilliant job and skimmed the whole wall floor to ceiling without me even asking.

Quick clean up question:

Ive cleaned off the worst of the plaster splashes off the skirting and oak floor. Is it best to take a hard brush to the plaster splashes on the carpet now and risk firming it further into the fibres, or wait and brush it off dry?

What does the least damage?

Sponsored Links
I'd vacuum it off the carpet when fully dry

you might have to hammer it into dust if some remains after hoovering thoroughly

use a scraper on the floor followed by a nylon kitchen scourer, wet.

pity the plasterer doesn't own a drop sheet :rolleyes: .

The work was completed about an hour ago. The local guy has done a brilliant job and skimmed the whole wall floor to ceiling without me even asking.

Quick clean up question:

Ive cleaned off the worst of the plaster splashes off the skirting and oak floor. Is it best to take a hard brush to the plaster splashes on the carpet now and risk firming it further into the fibres, or wait and brush it off dry?

What does the least damage?

I'm glad you've got the job done Oshea, and you're happy with the result. He did the right thing skimming the whole wall, and to be honest, it's just as quick doing it that way, rather than mess about trying to feather in/blend in patches.
It always a good idea for any plasterer to cover up floors/carpets before starting work. If plaster gets into the grain of the wood, it's hard to get rid of it. Be careful too, trying to get plaster/splashes out of a carpet. If it is only splash marks, i'd leave them to dry and then carefully brush it out as you said.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

There was a dust sheet (mine!) and the bit of carpet it covered is fine! :D
The rest is pretty awful, especially the corners! I'll try again tomorrow with a brush and hoover.

Otherwise its looking like Im going to have to move furniture around to cover the damage.

The wall does look great though :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back