How best to fill large voids around windows ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 100 year old house, wooden windows long since replaced by upvc.

This leaves at least a 4" gap around the upvc frame, usually I've found filled in with some polystyrene foam.

I've found very thin polystyrene around my window, with a big void behind it, and most broken when getting off the loose blown plaster / skim.

The wall is to be plastered, how should this gap around the window be filled? I struggle with expanding foam, as it falls to the bottom as the gap is too wide.

Another window I tool the polystyrene and broke it into pieces and wedged it best I could and foam sprayed around, filling the void. I'm guessing this isn't the best way?

Many Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Any chance of uploading a picture on here Skhudy, it would help a lot,, cheers.

You could get some expanding metal and fit it into the void maybe a couple of pieces and wedge it in. You may be able to screw it to the
window and also the revel. Then give it a good damping down with water and then fill it with foam. ;) When it has gone off you can cut it off how you want it .

Actually it's just over 3" gap, not 4! The old sash window frame?

Expanding metal, thanks didn't know about that - if I can find where they sell it locally!

The other option I guess would be to lay some brick long ways along both sides of the upvs frame

I

Sponsored Links
Why don't you fix some plasterboard onto the (Window side) all around,let it stick out about an inch and a half then you can fix some more on the wooden lintol and on to the wooden frame at the top of the window then get the plasterer to do the same on the sides (with p/board or ex metal doubled up) and bring it all in with the plastering. You can put plastering beads around the window before hand after cutting off the excess plaster board.. The plasterer should know what I am on about . I hope you understand my explanation aswell ;) Still fill it with foam first....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back