1 or 2 skims?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to tackle an wall approx 8 x 3 feet , skimming.

The wall is plasterboard and had been papered, after stripping off the wall has an old coat of emulsion.

Question Do I still need to give 2 skims of multi or would one be sufficient?
The wall is reasonably ok but lots of pinholes and a few scrapes and dents.

Sponsored Links
Going to tackle an wall approx 8 x 3 feet , skimming.

The wall is plasterboard and had been papered, after stripping off the wall has an old coat of emulsion.

Question Do I still need to give 2 skims of multi or would one be sufficient?
The wall is reasonably ok but lots of pinholes and a few scrapes and dents.

2 always 2

Yes a two coat application.
If the dents or imperfections in the wall are deeper than 2mm fill them in prior to applying first coat.
Because the wall was been painted, I would run a sander over it to give you a better key, remove dirt, grease, residue and flaky paint.
Then prime with 4-1 Water-PVA and leave to completely dry, then second coat with PVA leave to go tacky, before applying first coat of multi, these should then be flattened out, filling in any low points.
A second coat of multi can then be applied, make the second coat a little wetter than first, again after the second coat has been applied flatten out again. Once you a happy it is flat leave to stiffen up before you wet trowel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

One other question some parts of other walls I have stripped of wallpaper just have a couple of areas where the paint has lifted, I normally use filler but would it be ok to use multi-use for this?

I wouldn't use multi for these - easyfill will sand down and feather in an awful lot easier.

Where the paint was lifted remove any loose debris, then if the area is lower than 2mm, fill it out with any type of filler or even bonding/browning.
You could get away with small areas using finishing plaster but you must prime the walls prior to filling out with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back