10.8kw Shower trips MCB - Update

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A family member has just moved into a newly renovated house. The entire gaff has been renovated- including an en suite.

The electric shower trips the mcb after a few minutes of being on.

Set up as follows:

. Mira Sport Max 10.8 kW shower.
. Seperate shower CU with 50 amp MCB
. 10mm cable - 15 meter (approx) run in 1st floor ceiling void.

I'm gonna nip round later to have a look - I have a clamp meter so ill check the current draw. The shower, 10 mm cable and CU are all new.

Any suggestions on what might cause MCB to trip? The RCD holds fine. It's just the MCB. Resetting it will hold for a minute, but then trios again. Only trips on HIGH setting and not on ECO mode.

I suspect the shower may be faulty.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A faulty breaker, get a sparky in to replace it.

Blup

I've been had a quick look.

Current flow is 42.7 amps when the shower is on full.

MCB is 50 amp Type B - Contactum branded

I noticed a slight crackle at bus bar. I've reseated it, torqued it up and the crackle has stopped.

Have not been able to get it to trip and ran it for 5 mins on full. But last night, It was constantly tripping the MCB - the first time it tripped the mcb held out for a few mins - subsequent trips were after less than a minute each time.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
MCB not correctly fitted on bus bar could be the issue. I guess it’s a matter of seeing how it goes.
Maybe get a replacement MCB anyways.
Contactum is a reasonable budget maker, but nobody’s perfect.

Maybe no gas?

does sound like the MCB given it's no tripping more frequently...

Separate shower CU doesn't sound like much of a 'newly renovated house' either.

Even if no gas, an unvented cylinder with electric element(s) would have been a far better option.

The main bathroom is a normal thermostatic shower off combi. This shower is an en suite. The house has been rewired fully, but the ensuite came later and the main CU is full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back