10mm hot feed to washbasin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an experiment I have used 10mm plastic for the hot feed to my bathroom washbasin. It's done with a single uninterrupted length of about 12 metres all the way back to the combi.

We have quite good mains pressure but I wanted to see if the flow rate through 10mm would still be acceptable. The logic behind trying this was the assumed user benefit of quicker warm up time at the tap, and cost benefit due to reduction of heat losses. Our bathroom tap is used frequently so with a 10mm feed, a much lower volume of hot water would be left to cool in the pipework each time it is used.

The results?

First of all flow rate although obviously reduced is still fine for normal use. Mrs blondini never even noticed the change.

Warm up is much quicker than before. This is the furthest tap from the combi and it now warms more quickly than the kitchen tap which is closest to the combi.

An incidental benefit is that use of the basin tap has much less impact on flow to the shower (mixer) and both can be used at same time without drama.

On the down side, flow is more greatly reduced if either kitchen tap is used so I intend to make a few more changes...

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a good idea especially the shorter warm up times but I think the cost savings would be minimal.

I'll remember that one. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back