10mm plastic to radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry this is probably a daft question but i'm going to ask it anyway. We had our old central heating system (back boiler with immersion tank) pulled out and a new combi boiler fitted a few weeks back. While the engineer was fitting the new system I asked if he could run us a new loop for the garage. We're due to start work on converting the garage into a habitable room next week so it made sense to have the pipework in place for the garage. I've just gone to look at the new loop/pipework and can see he's left us a long coil of 10mm plastic piping in the corning of the garage.

Couple of questions if I may:

- We'll be fitting the new rad with trv's. What would be the quickest & easiest way to plumb it in? Can you put 10mm plastic straight into rad valves or do you need to go to coper first? At the moment i'm thinking a pair of 10mm plastic to 15mm coper elbows under the floorboards. Then using a few very short lengths of 15mm coper into the trvs? Is there a easier way to do this?

- The new loop appears to be live as he's not added valves. I guess i'll have to drain the whole system, cut the loop/pipe and run them to the new radiator. Once I've cut the loop, does one act as a feed (ie: have the trv) and the other act as a outlet (normal lock shield valve)? How do you tell which is which?

Sponsored Links
*copper

You'll be fine with 10mm plastic going straight into the valves. Pushfit elbows are available to convert 15mm valves to 10mm pipe.

Does the new loop get hot when the heating is on? If it does, it's live. If it doesn't, it's probably not connected. You'll need to identify from the main pipe runs which is flow and which is return.

Sponsored Links
ok cheers, will stick with 10mm plastic and buy some inserts so I can connect them into the trv's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back